Showing Collections: 1 - 12 of 12
A collection of letters, primarily between Anne Isabella Milbanke Byron, also known as Lady Byron (1792-1860), widow of the poet, and George MacDonald (1824-1905), the author, her protégé, written shortly before her death.
George Cautley (1807?-1880), a clergyman and scholar, writes to Stratford Canning, Viscount Stratford de Redcliffe (1780-1880), a diplomat, about activities in his neighborhood and expresses hope that the Viscount's wife's health will improve. Cautley also shares his plans to publish a translation of the Emblems of Alciati, asks about the Viscount's literary work and gives reviews of a few recently published works.
The Porter family papers consist of letters, literary manuscripts and personal papers of an English literary family from the mid-18th century to the mid-19th century. Two-thirds of the almost 3000 items in the collection consists of the correspondence of the siblings, Sir Robert Ker Porter (1777-1842), Jane Porter (1776-1850), Anna Maria Porter (1778-1832), and other members of the Porter family.
Collection of letters received by Anglo-Irish poet Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy. The collection also contains correspondence between individuals surrounding O'Shaughnessy; some literary texts by O'Shaughnessy and others; photographs and some sketches found in letters; and other related materials. Primarily literary and artistic subjects.
This collection of Elizabeth A. Schultz's personal papers includes two series established by Schultz herself: Personal Documents and Albums. Her personal documents relate largely to professional projects and teaching at KU, as well as to post-retirement publications and philanthropic activities. The Albums series includes photograph albums and scrapbooks from Schultz's childhood through post-retirement travels around the world.
George Worth taught in the Department of English at the University of Kansas from 1955-1995. This collection consists of materials relating to a "Victoria's Jubilees" conference hosted by the English Department in 1987; research and manuscripts for various professional publications; and research, drafts, and correspondence pertaining to Worth's analyses of the writings of Charles Dickens. It also includes records of his service in professional organizations and university committees.
Harold Orel was a Professor of English specializing in Victorian and Edwardian literature at the University of Kansas. His papers include professional correspondence, teaching and research materials, conference materials and speaking notes, materials related to publications by Orel and other scholars, and personal ephemera.
Literary drafts of Peter Pindar, the nom-de-plume of satirist and poet John Wolcot (1738-1819). The collection consists of rough drafts of poems on scraps of paper, mostly amorous-pastoral poems, as well as some excerpts from plays, songs without music, a patriotic ballad, and a satire.
This collection consists of 2 letters by English Romantic poet Robert Southey (1774-1843), collected from various sources by Spencer Research Library staff.
- Authors, English -- 19th century 3
- English literature -- Irish authors 2
- American literature 1
- American poetry -- Women authors -- 19th century 1
- Authors, English -- 19th century -- Correspondence 1
- Balkan Peninsula -- Description and travel 1
- Diplomatic and consular service -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century 1
- Diplomatic and consular service, British -- Venezuela -- History -- 19th century 1
- English literature -- 18th century 1
- Environmentalism -- Kansas -- Douglas County 1
- Europe, Eastern -- Description and travel 1
- Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century 1
- Middle East -- Description and travel 1
- Pastoral poetry 1
- Poets, English 1
- Russia -- Description and travel 1
- Venezuela -- Description and travel 1
- Women -- Intellectual life -- 19th century 1 ∧ less
- University of Kansas. Department of English 2
- Badeley family 1
- Bailey, Philip James, 1816-1902 1
- Bailey, Thomas, 1785-1856 1
- Brooks, Maria Gowen, 1794 or 1795-1845 1
- Byron, Anne Isabella Milbanke Byron, Baroness, 1792-1860 1
- Cautley, George Spencer, 1807?-1880 1
- Clitherow family 1
- Denham family 1
- Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870 1
- Forster, John, 1812-1876 1
- Hardy, Thomas, 1840-1928 1
- Kikine, Maria Scherbatoff Porter, 1813- 1
- Landor, Walter Savage, 1775-1864 1
- MacDonald, George, 1824-1905 1
- Macdonald, Greville, 1856-1944 1
- Mocatta family 1
- O'Shaughnessy, Arthur William Edgar, 1844-1881 1
- Orel, Harold, 1926- 1
- Orel, Tim 1
- Pindar, Peter, 1738-1819 1
- Porter family 1
- Porter, Anna Maria, 1778-1832 1
- Porter, Jane, 1776-1850 1
- Porter, Maria Scherbatoff, -1826 1
- Porter, Mrs. (Jane), 1745-1831 1
- Porter, Robert Ker, Sir, 1777-1842 1
- Porter, William Ogilvie, 1774-1850 1
- Porter, William, 1735-1779 1
- Scherbatoff family 1
- Schultz, Elizabeth A. 1
- Southey, Robert, 1774-1843 1
- Stratford de Redcliffe, Stratford Canning, Viscount, 1786-1880 1
- Worth, George J. (George John), 1929- 1 ∧ less
- French 2
- Chinese 1
- Japanese 1
- Persian 1
- Russian 1
- Serbian 1 ∧ less