Showing Collections: 1 - 18 of 18
Reminiscences of life on a farm near Junction City following migration west in 1869. Sixteen years on a Kansas farm, 1870-1886.
Two separate autobiographies, the first by a farmer born near Oskaloosa, Kansas, and the second by a woman, possibly his wife.
This collection includes a photograph of a horse-drawn plow near Dodge City, Ford County, Kansas and a photograph of a horse-drawn threshing machine taken around Cimarron, Gray County, Kansas with the D.H. Cross family.
These diaries were written by Hudson detailing his activities and those of his family and acquaintances. He consistently notes weather conditions, chores he performs, and other activities of a business and social nature. Hudson's diaries are unusually complete, but he discontinued writing in 1905.
Volumes are handwritten in pencil and ink.
John Henry Eibest was a farmer in Grant Township in Douglas County, near Lawrence, Kansas. This collection contains 51 diaries and associated documents pertaining to the farm, property, and life of John Eibest.
Twelve glass plate negatives, each measuring 5x7", depicting rural scenes, perhaps from or near Bucklin, Ford County, Kansas, including what appear to be sod-constructed buildings and farmlands. One image is an interior shot of a wood stove, wicker rocking chair, and other furniture. Occasionally a single individual or at most two men appear in the images.
Two diaries handwritten by James Findley Harrison in the mid and late 1860s. They give descriptions of his travels and eventual settling in Linn County, Kansas.
Grover was born in Springfield, Livingston Co., New York, August 5, 1825; died in Lawrence, Kansas, July 28, 1879. This collection consist of a diary kept during the years 1857 and 1858 by Joel Grover, an early resident of Lawrence, Kansas. A transcription of the diary was completed in 1981.
The diary is a daily record of farming and cash accounts from 1915 to 1916, and includes records of payments to farmers cooperative associations. The diary was transcribed and edited by his son, Henry L. Peterson.
Journal of a Kansas farmer, October, 1873-October, 1876; recorded in the People's comprehensive diary. .. for the use of farmers and others. (Mitchell County, Kansas, 1876.)
This collection includes a photograph of a scene at a Kansas farm with a sod house, windmill, a wagon, horses, and an unidentified family and dog. A "D.G. Clark" is identified as possibly the photographer, along with Goodland, Kansas.
Photographs on postcard stock documenting farm work in various Kansas communities. Identified locations include Kiowa County, Altamont, Minneola, Lenexa, and Coldwater, as well as Beaver Crossing, Nebraska.
This letter was written to the author's great granddaughter, who at the age of 11 was assigned the task of gathering information about an "older" person by her Girl Scout leader. Mitchell relates his life on a farm in Osage County, Kansas, his abbreviated education, the birth of his first child, and a summary of his local political activities.
This diary, one of four extant, is incomplete. In its entries Hudson notes weather conditions, his daily activities and those of his family. Farming activities and social occasions are consistently detailed.
This collection consists of two accounting ledgers owned and used by William H. Fant, a farmer in Garden City, Finney County, Kansas. The ledgers include information regarding dates and descriptions of items, expenses and income.
The Yorks were a family of farmers who settled in Kansas shortly after it became a state. This collection focuses on Oscar York, his siblings, and his children. It includes photographs, letters, legal documents, and records from their family history.
- Farm life -- Kansas 4
- Farm life -- Kansas -- Photographs 3
- Farm life -- Kansas -- Douglas County 2
- Farm life -- Kansas -- Ford County 2
- Farmers -- Diaries 2
- African Americans -- Kansas 1
- Agricultural laborers -- Kansas -- Jefferson County 1
- Agricultural laborers -- Kansas -- Photographs 1
- Business records -- Kansas -- Finney County 1
- Cimarron (Kan.) -- History -- Photographs 1
- Danes -- Kansas 1
- Diaries 1
- Diaries (Blank-books) 1
- Dodge City (Kan.) -- History -- Photographs 1
- Douglas County (Kan.) -- History 1
- Farm life -- Kansas -- Finney County 1
- Farm life -- Kansas -- Jefferson County 1
- Farm life -- Kansas -- Johnson County -- Photographs 1
- Farm life -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Farm life -- Kansas -- Linn County 1
- Farm life -- Kansas -- Mitchell County 1
- Farm life -- Kansas -- Osage County 1
- Farm life -- Photographs 1
- Farm management -- Kansas -- Finney County -- Records and correspondence 1
- Farmers -- Correspondence 1
- Farmers -- Kansas -- Correspondence 1
- Fort Leavenworth (Kan.) 1
- Fort Riley (Kan.) 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Kansas 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Kansas -- Mitchell County 1
- Geary County (Kan.) -- History 1
- Goodland (Kan.) -- Photographs 1
- Johnson County (Kan.) -- History 1
- Junction City (Kan.) 1
- Kansas -- Description and travel 1
- Kansas -- Emigration and immigration 1
- Kansas City (Mo.) -- Description and travel 1
- Lawrence (Kan) -- Description and travel 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- History 1
- Leavenworth (Kan) -- Description and travel 1
- Linn County (Kan) -- Description and travel 1
- Missouri -- Description and travel 1
- Sod houses -- Kansas -- Photographs 1
- Springfield (Mo.) -- Description and travel 1
- Stanley (Kan.) 1
- Topeka (Kan) -- Description and travel 1
- West (U.S.) -- Photographs 1 ∧ less
- Hudson family. 2
- Hudson, Samuel Emmons 2
- Aberle family 1
- Bingham, Anne E. 1
- Brady, E. 1
- Cross, Leona 1
- Decker, Charles E. 1
- Decker, Monica S. Lowman 1
- Douglas County Historical Society (Douglas County, Kan.) 1
- Eibest, John Henry, 1859-1939? 1
- Fant, William H., 1883-1970 1
- Grover, Joel, 1825-1879 1
- Harrison, James Findley, 1825-1907 1
- McColm, Elmer 1
- Messenger, Henry 1
- Messenger, Lucy 1
- Mitchell family. 1
- Mitchell, Neil Thomas, 1871- 1
- Paden, David Glenn 1
- Peterson, Henry L. 1
- Peterson, Jorgen, 1859-1936 1
- Trout, Joel 1
- York family 1
- York, Elizabeth A., 1891-1953 1
- York, Oscar Thomas, 1883-1970 1 ∧ less
- German 1