Showing Collections: 1 - 16 of 16
Reminiscences of life on a farm near Junction City following migration west in 1869. Sixteen years on a Kansas farm, 1870-1886.
This collection consists of six letters among three different generations of the Dodge family while residing in Buffalo, New York; at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas; and in Emporia, Kansas. The letters mostly focus on family news, including marriage announcements and the illnesses and deaths of family members.
This six-page letter was written in the spring of 1874 from Fort Leavenworth, Kansas by Ella Dewey Woart, daughter of John Woart, post chaplain at the fort. Having arrived at Fort Leavenworth with her parents the previous fall, Ella writes to her grandmother, describing the appearance of the fort, her family's quarters, her father's work, and the inhabitants at the fort and in the nearby town of Leavenworth.
Two real photographic postcards depicting Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. The views are of officers' quarters on Pope Avenue and of Otis Hall. There are descriptive inscriptions on the back of each postcard. Fort Leavenworth, which is located north of Leavenworth, Kansas, is the oldest Army post west of the Mississippi River and is known for training Army leaders through its Command School.
Orders issued by Captain J. J. Coppinger detailing the personnel and duties of a guard for Nez Perce prisoners-of-war encamped near the fort. The order is signed by P. T. Brodrick, 1st Lt. and Adjutant 23rd Infantry, Post Adjutant and by 1st Lt. W. P. Manning, 23rd Infantry.
The collection includes correspondence, notes and source material, clippings, maps, photographs, documents, and other related items, dating primarily from 1841-1923.
Land certificate deeding real property to Jesse T. Roberts from the Delaware tribe, as recorded by the register at the Land Office at Fort Leavenworth, Leavenworth County, Kansas Territory.
Photographs of Leavenworth Kansas.
Discusses disorder of his horse. Refers to illness of Lt. Walker.
Col. Smith thanks Gen. Heath for the suggestion that a new assignment in Santa Fe might be profitable. He then relates his frustrated attempts to secure a transfer to duty in St. Paul. Letter dated Leavenworth, Kansas. On back side note in another handwriting: "Col. Sim Smith, March 20, 69 Ans. my letter rel. to his coming to N[ew] M[exico]."
Letter to "My dear Manning". Dated Headquarters, Department of the Missouri, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.
Letter, 86 Oct. 25, Fort Leavenworth, Kan. [to William C.], Manning from O.B. Willcox. Willcox thanks Manning for his congratulations of Willcox becoming commander of the Army Dept. of the Missouri, headquartered at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. Paper watermarked: Belfast lancers, trademark registered 1877.
Letter written by C.C. Andrews in Fort Leavenworth to his friend, William Pierce.
Letters of Forrest W. Bassett (Company A, 6th Field Battalion, U.S. Signal Corps), while in training at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas
This collection consists of eighty-one letters and two postcards written from July 1917 to May 1918 by U.S. Army Signal Corpsman Forrest W. Bassett of Beloit, Wisconsin, while stationed at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. Most of Bassett's letters are to Ava Marie Shaw of Beloit, to whom he writes of his affection and of his drills and training for World War I military service as a radio operator.
The Lewis A. Waterman Collection contains twenty-nine letters that were written by him from 1864 to 1865 while serving in the United States Signal Corps, stationed chiefly at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. The collection also includes cartes de visites of Waterman's Signal Corps comrades at Fort Leavenworth.
Letter to the editor of the Globe, Washington, D. C. Dated Fort Leavenworth, January 30, 1837.
Orders call for First Lieutenant Jacob W. Keller, unassigned, to report to Colonel Thomas H. Roger, 18th. U.S. Infantry, President of the Retiring Board at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.
- Fort Leavenworth (Kan.) 10
- Fort Leavenworth (Kan.) -- History 4
- Fort Leavenworth (Kan.) -- Description and travel 2
- Agriculture -- Marketing 1
- Antislavery movements -- United States 1
- Delaware Indians -- Kansas 1
- Doniphan County (Kan.) -- History 1
- Dwellings -- Kansas -- Leavenworth -- Photographs 1
- Emporia (Kan.) -- History 1
- Farm life -- Kansas 1
- Fort Riley (Kan.) 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Kansas 1
- Geary County (Kan.) -- History 1
- Horse-drawn vehicles 1
- Horses -- Diseases 1
- Junction City (Kan.) 1
- Kansas -- Emigration and immigration 1
- Kansas -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Kansas -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives 1
- Kansas -- Politics and government -- 1854-1861 1
- Leavenworth (Kan.) 1
- Leavenworth (Kan.) -- Buildings, structures, etc. -- Photographs 1
- Leavenworth (Kan.) -- History 1
- Leavenworth County (Kan.) 1
- Mexican War, 1846-1848 1
- Nez Percé Indians 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives 1
- United States. Kansas-Nebraska Act 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Personal narratives, American 1 ∧ less
- United States. Army 3
- Andrews, C. C. 1
- Anthony, Emily Frances, 1839-1898 1
- Anthony, Lewis Williams, 1825-1903 1
- Ashlock, Virginia 1
- Bassett, Ave Marie Shaw, 1903-1992 1
- Bassett, Forrest W., 1897-1985 1
- Bingham, Anne E. 1
- Brodrick, P. T. 1
- Connelley , William Elsey, 1855-1930 1
- Coppinger, John J. (Joseph), 1834-1909 1
- Crawford, Samuel R. 1
- Curtis, Samuel Ryan, 1805-1866 1
- Delaware Tribe of Indians 1
- Dodge (Family : 1806- : Kansas) 1
- Gibson, Thomas (Correspondent of James H. Lane) 1
- Guthrie, Abelard, 1814-1873 1
- Holstlander, L. 1
- Jenkins, Gaius, 1812-1858 1
- Keeny, C. 1
- Kelle, Jacob W. 1
- Lane, James Henry, 1814-1866 1
- Lane, Mary Elizabeth Baldridge, 1826-1885 1
- Lee, A. L. 1
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 1
- Linett, B. A., Lt., active 1837-1845 1
- Manning, W. P. (Lieutenant) 1
- Miller (Family : 1857- : Lyon County, Kan.) 1
- Missouri River Railway Company 1
- National Union Committee for the West. 1
- Patt, Britannia Franklin, 1807-1895 1
- Postma Carttar, Rosalea 1
- Roger, Thomas H. 1
- Smith, Simeon 1
- Union Pacific Railroad Company 1
- United States. Adjutant-General's Office 1
- United States. Army. Field Signal Battalion, 6th. Company A 1
- United States. Army. Infantry, 23rd 1
- United States. Army. Kansas Infantry Regiment, 7th 1
- United States. Army. Signal Corps 1
- Waterman family. 1
- Waterman, Franklin Alonzo, 1844-1886 1
- Waterman, Lewis A. (Lewis Anthony), 1848-1868 1
- Wheeler, O. 1
- Willcox, Orlando B. 1
- Willey, Sandra 1
- Woart family. 1
- Woart, Ella Dewey, 1848?- 1
- Woart, John, 1810-1893 1 ∧ less