Showing Collections: 1 - 19 of 19
One original black and white photographic print and three later copies of a child, Alberta White, standing in front of the house located at 724 Alabama Street in Lawrence, Kansas. The house is thought to have been where Mary Patterson Langston, Langston Hughes' grandmother, lived, though the 1907 and 1911 Lawrence city directories list her address as 732 Alabama.
Map was made by Hoad during 1897-98, his senior year at KU in civil engineering. It was published by the KU Country Club. For Hoad's letters describing how he made the map, see RH MS P71.
This collection includes records of the Douglas County Genealogical Society in Kansas dating from its founding in 1975 to the early 2000s. The collection includes meeting minutes, financial records and treasurer's reports, and other administrative records for the organization. There are also a number of the organization's quarterly newsletters, "The Pioneer," including a small history of their logo and information on the numerous workshops and seminars they have held in Lawrence, KansasS.
The Douglas County Historical Society was organized in 1933 by a group headed by Professor F. N. Raymond of the University of Kansas. This collection consists of manuscript and printed materials from a variety of individuals, businesses, and organizations associated with the history of Douglas County, Kansas, from its territorial settlment period of the 1850s through much of the 20th century, deposited by the Douglas County Historical Society with the Spencer Research Library.
These Eberhart family histories, photographs, genealogical charts, and minutes of the Eberhart Reunion Association document the family history of Joseph Eberhart and his wife Catherine (Kistler) Eberhart, who emigrated from Pennsylvania to Kansas Territory in 1854, becoming early settlers on a Douglas County claim located south of the Lawrence community. Records of the Association chronicle the Pennsylvania German ancestry of the Eberharts and the history of the Eberharts in Kansas.
John K. Estes, a professional photographer, established the Estes Studio at 806 Massachusetts street in Lawrence, Kansas in the late 1940s and operated it until his death in 1971. This collection contains photographs depicting images of individuals, groups, and organizations active in Douglas County, as well as records, predominately financial, of the studio.
Records related to Glenn Kappelman's position as a court-appointed appraiser to review community development projects in Douglas County and Lawrence, Kansas.
Historic Places in the vicinity of Lawrence, a talk given for Kansas Day program, at Round Table Women's Club, and to Kanwaka Women's Literary Society
Places mentioned in the talk include Hickory Point, Black Jack, Franklin, Fort Saunders, Fort Titus and Lecompton, Kansas.
Materials related to histories Winnie D. Lowrance wrote about Lawrence and Douglas County, Kansas, as well as more specifically about Trinity Episcopal Church in Lawrence. Includes reference materials collected by Lowrance as well as notes.
These materials relate to Lawrence-Douglas County, Kansas, planning initiatives in the latter part of the 20th century and development oversight. The collection includes photographs, photo-lithographic aluminum plates, and negatives, as well as printed material.
The Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Office implements city and county comprehensive plans by developing and administering zoning codes, regulations, plans and policies. It guides land use planning principles and practices and supports city and county commission, including the Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Commission. These maps document city and county planning between 1857-2000 which include the redevelopment plans for downtown Lawrence, Kansas.
The Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Office implements city and county comprehensive plans by developing and administering zoning codes, regulations, plans and policies. It guides land use planning principles and practices and supports city and county commissions, including the Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Commission. These records document city and county planning for the 1980s which include the redevelopment plans for downtown Lawrence, Kansas.
Photographs of the Lescher family of Lawrence, Kansas, possibly taken by a family member. Subjects of the images include landmarks and buildings in Lawrence and Douglas County, Kansas; scenes from the 1908 flood and from an ice gorge in the Kansas River; landscapes; Lescher family members, friends, and unidentified individuals; residences and room interiors; farming scenes; bridges and trains; and other topics.
This photocopied typescript is a 93-page account of an automobile trip to California by William L. Hastie and his wife Anna of Lawrence (Douglas County), Kansas. Hastie's account, which begins with their September 1937 departure and ends with their February 1938 return to Lawrence, includes details of visits with many family members and acquaintances along the way.
This collection contains papers concerning the 19th century real estate investments of J. Haviland Haight in the Kansas counties of Leavenworth, Douglas, and Wilson.
- Douglas County (Kan.) -- History 8
- Douglas County (Kan.) -- Genealogy 5
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Genealogy 4
- Douglas County (Kan.) 3
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- History 3
- Douglas County (Kan.) -- Economic policy 2
- Douglas County (Kan.) -- Maps 2
- Land use -- Kansas -- Lawrence -- Planning 2
- Lawrence (Kan.) 2
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Economic policy 2
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Maps 2
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Photographs 2
- Lawrence Massacre, Lawrence, Kan., 1863 2
- Transportation -- Kansas -- Lawrence -- Planning 2
- Buildings -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Cemeteries -- Kansas -- Douglas County 1
- Church buildings -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- City planning -- Kansas -- Douglas County -- Maps 1
- City planning -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- City planning -- Kansas -- Lawrence -- Maps 1
- City planning districts -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Community development -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Franklin (Kan.) -- History 1
- Hesper (Kan.) -- History 1
- Human services -- Kansas -- Douglas County 1
- Industrial organization -- Kansas 1
- Kansas -- Genealogy 1
- Kansas -- History 1
- Kansas -- History -- 1854-1861 1
- Kansas -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Buildings, structures, etc. 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Centennial celebrations, etc. 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- History -- 19th century 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Lawrence Massacre, Lawrence, Kan., 1863 -- Personal narratives 1
- Leavenworth County (Kan.) -- History 1
- Lehigh County (Pa.) -- Genealogy 1
- Parks -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Public schools -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Public welfare -- Kansas -- Douglas County 1
- Real estate investment -- Kansas 1
- Right of property -- Kansas -- Douglas County 1
- Schools -- Kansas -- Douglas County -- History 1
- Society of Friends -- Kansas -- History 1
- Stony Point (Kan.) -- History 1
- Students -- Kansas -- Douglas County -- Pictorial works 1
- Victoria (Kan.) -- History 1
- West (U.S.) -- Description and travel 1
- Wilson County (Kan.) -- History 1
- Winchester rifle 1
- Women -- Kansas -- Lawrence -- Societies and clubs 1 ∧ less
- Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Office 3
- Douglas County Historical Society (Douglas County, Kan.) 2
- Hastie family. 2
- Hasty family. 2
- Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Commission 2
- Barnhart family. 1
- Bernard family. 1
- Clason, Barbara E., 1916-1990 1
- Council of Social Agencies (Lawrence, Kan.) 1
- Crawford, S. J. (Samuel Johnson), 1835-1913 1
- Crosswhite, Craig S. 1
- Daughters of the American Revolution. Betty Washington Chapter (Lawrence, Kan.) 1
- Davis family. 1
- Davis, Emma Stubbs, 1885-1942 1
- Davis, Samuel Hunt, 1848-1938 1
- Douglas County Historical Society (Douglas County, Kan.). Bicentennial Commission 1
- Douglas County, Kansas, Genealogical Society 1
- Eberhart Reunion Association 1
- Eberhart family. 1
- Eberhart, Catherine Kistler, 1805-1885 1
- Eberhart, Joseph, 1800-1882 1
- Edwards, Charles L. (Charles Livingston), 1828-1916 1
- Elizabeth M. Watkins Community Museum 1
- Estes Studio (Lawrence, Kan.) 1
- Everhart family. 1
- Friends University (Wichita Kan.) 1
- Grand Army of the Republic. Washington Post No. 12 (Lawrence, Kan.) 1
- Great Swamp Church (Lehigh County, Pa.) 1
- Green, Nehemiah, 1837-1890 1
- Haight Family. 1
- Haight, J. Haviland, 1828- 1
- Hastie, William L., 1865-1941 1
- Hemphill, Anne E. 1
- Hesper Academy (Hesper, Kan.) 1
- Hoad, William C. (William Christian), 1874- 1
- Kanwaka Literary Club 1
- Kappelman, Glenn L. 1
- Lawrence Chamber of Commerce (Lawrence, Kan.) 1
- Lesher family 1
- Lowrance, Winnie D. 1
- National Parks and Conservation Association 1
- Old Settlers Association (Lawrence, Kan.) 1
- Round Table Women's Club (Lawrence, Kan.) 1
- Save the Tallgrass Prairie, Inc. 1
- Smelser, Mary Maud 1
- Stony Point Evangelical Lutheran Church (Hickory Point, Kan.) 1
- Stough, Charles D., 1914-1995 1
- Stubbs family. 1
- Trinity Episcopal Church (Lawrence, Kan.) 1
- University of Kansas 1
- University of Kansas Country Club 1
- Watson, Mildred Davis 1
- Whitcomb, Ansel H. 1
- White, Beatrice 1
- Wilde, Oscar, 1854-1900 1 ∧ less
- German 1