Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Stereographic views of Garnett, Kansas. The photographs were taken by Andrew I. Cook, a photographer originally from Pitcher, New York, who opened a gallery in Garnett in December 1879, then moved to Cincinnatus, New York in about 1884.
This collection of photographic materials relating to Lawrence, Kansas and its residents, businesses, buildings, and events spans the early 19th century through the late 20th century, therefore also spanning the history of photography itself. This is an artificial collection, meaning that the photographs herein come from a wide variety of sources and have been compiled by the Spencer Research Library into this single collection organized by subject matter.
Portraits of individuals taken by miscellaneous Kansas-based photographers in the late 19th century.
James Boucher Shane, a Civil War veteran, settled in Lawrence, Kansas in 1878, where he began to operate a commerical photography business. His daugther, Juno Belle Shane, and her husband, Herbert Thompson, eventually took over the business, which operated until 1953. The collection includes personal records of the Shane family, as well as business records of the Shane-Thompson studio, photographic prints, and glass plate negatives.
The Southwest Kansas Photographers Club convened to discuss the art and business of photography. The 2 volumes in this collection cover the years 1925 through 1942 and include meeting minutes, a group photograph, newspaper clippings, registration lists and financial records.
- Photography -- Kansas 2
- Portrait photography -- Kansas -- 19th century -- Specimens 2
- African American arts 1
- African American women -- Kansas 1
- African Americans -- Vocational education -- Kansas -- Topeka 1
- Clubs -- Kansas 1
- Commercial photography -- Kansas -- Garnett 1
- Commericial photography - Kansas - Lawrence 1
- Garnett (Kan.) -- Photographs 1
- Lawrence (Kan) -- Description and travel 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Buildings, structures, etc. 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Centennial celebrations, etc. 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Photographs 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Social life and customs 1
- Photographers -- Kansas 1
- Politicians -- Kansas -- Photographs 1
- Portrait photography -- Kansas 1
- Portrait photography -- Kansas -- 20th century -- Specimens 1
- Portrait photography -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Portrait photography -- Specimens 1
- Salina (Kan.) -- Pictorial works 1 ∧ less
- Cook, Andrew I. 1
- Dixon, Fannie Mae 1
- Hess family 1
- Hess, Wilbur D., 1927-2008 1
- Kansas Vocational School 1