Showing Collections: 1 - 11 of 11
This legal brief is a brief for the appellant in 1849 McDonald v. McGuire suit over slave ownership.
Episodes in Kansas history; three incidents included in The Gun and the Gospel. Lawrence? ca. 1896?
This collection consists of four letters from abolitionist John Brown.
The letter concerns personal real estate transactions and troubles along the Missouri-Kansas border between free state and pro-slavery partisans. Letter is written on back page of "Appeal of Kansas to the voters of the Free States" dated Topeka, July 4, 1856. This printed appeal concerns the contested election of 1856 and an appeal for Kansas to join the Union as a free state.
Eldridge was active in the efforts to make Kansas Territory a free state. Formerly a Democrat, Eldridge joined the Kansas delegation at the Republican National Convention in Philadelphia. Memoir of early days in Kansas, miscellaneous stock certificates, and account sheets, 1859-1898.
Thomas Weiss is an emeritus professor in the Department of Economics at the University of Kansas. His research primarily deals with 19th century American labor and economic history. This collection contains research materials and some course materials.
This collection includes letters written by Tovey to his wife Eliza, as well as a manuscript of Tovey's life in the Kansas Territory intended to help possible emigrants to the territory.
Poem about border wars in Lawrence, slavery and the Civil War, written by a soldier near Hardeeville, S. C. Location and date written in cryptogram. Typed transcript is available in the accession file.
This collection is a single 8-page manuscript by "An American" commentating on John Brown, his activities preparatory to the raid on the armory at Harper's Ferry, and Franklin B. Sanborn's part in Brown's plans. This article does not seem to be complete.
These papers may have been written by E. H. Sears, according to accession notes, but his death date appears to conflict with the manuscript dates. The papers were among some newspapers initialled E. H. Sears given by James C. Malin.
- Slavery -- United States -- Extension to the territories 6
- Slavery -- United States 4
- Kansas -- History -- 1854-1861 3
- Kansas -- Description and travel 2
- Kansas -- Emigration and immigration 2
- Kansas -- Politics and government -- 1854-1861 2
- African Americans -- Legal status, laws, etc. 1
- Banks and banking 1
- Currency question -- United States 1
- Elections -- Ohio 1
- Fugitive slaves -- United States 1
- Harpers Ferry (W. Va.) 1
- Kansas -- History -- 19th century 1
- Kansas -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Land use 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- History 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- History -- 19th century -- Poetry 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Underground movements 1
- Leavenworth (Kan.) -- History 1
- Money -- United States 1
- Mortgages 1
- National banks -- United States 1
- Olathe (Kan.) -- History 1
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1876 1
- Slavery -- United States -- Poetry 1
- Stock certificates 1
- United States -- Economic conditions -- 19th century 1
- United States -- History 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Causes 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Poetry 1 ∧ less
- Brown, John, 1800-1859 2
- Acme Manganese Mining Company (Kansas City, Kan.) 1
- Boss of the Bay Mining Company 1
- Brown, Jason, 1823-1912 1
- Brown, John, 1821-1895 1
- Day, Orson 1
- Delmonte Consolidated Mining Company (Leadville, Colo.) (Leadville, Colo.) 1
- Eldridge family. 1
- Eldridge, Shalor Winchell, 1816-1899 1
- Elliott, Robert Gaston 1
- Fablinger, Ellen Brown, 1854-1916 1
- Fisher, Charlie (Fugitive slave) 1
- Fisher, H. D. (Hugh Dunn), 1824-1905 1
- Kellogg, Charles, active 1856 1
- Manhattan and San Juan Silver Mining Company 1
- McDonald, Alexander 1
- McGuire, Margaret, active 1849 1
- New England Mining Company (Kansas City, Kan.) 1
- Quantrill, William Clarke, 1837-1865 1
- Republican Party (U.S. : 1854- ) 1
- Riverside Tunnel and Mining Company 1
- Sabin, I. 1
- Sanborn, F. B. (Franklin Benjamin), 1831-1917 1
- Sears, Edmund H. (Edmund Hamilton), 1810-1876 1
- Spaulding, W. B. 1
- Tovey, Eliza Matthew 1
- Tovey, Robert Atkins 1
- Uncompahgne Mining Company 1
- United States. Congress. House 1
- Weiss, Thomas Joseph 1
- Wiciszg, S. S. 1
- Woodbury, Daniel Peterson, 1827-1913 1
- Woodbury, Dorcas L., 1907-1980 1 ∧ less