Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Call Number: RH MS P560
Overview This collection contains miscellaneous papers concerning Ella Mae Jackson's role in the African-American community's struggle for school integration in Kansas City, Kansas in the 1960s; including newspaper clippings and certificates of her sons' school achievements, and a 1973 souvenir booklet of her cousins', Arthur and Martha Williams, 50th wedding anniversary.
Dates: 1960 - 1974
Call Number: RH MS 521
Overview The Friends of Yates Branch Papers are those of a Kansas City, Kansas group begun in 1979 to raise funds for the Yates Branch YWCA. After the city's YWCA closed the Branch, the Friends continued many of that organizations community programs.
Dates: 1925 - 1993
Call Number: RH MS P745
Overview The Lorenzo Drake family papers are those of a long time Kansas City, Kansas family headed by Lorenzo and Rosa Anna [Smith] Drake.
Dates: 1903 - 1940
Call Number: RH MS 508
Overview The Papers of Orrin M. Murray are those of a native Quindaro, Kansas historian and educator.
Dates: 1958 - 1986
Call Number: RH PH 174
Overview This collection contains photographs created by various identified and unidentified amateur and commercial photographers, including Carson and Brunston Photo, J.W. Lockett, Carl Fowler, and James R. Cobb. Individuals portrayed in the photographs are African Americans residing in or from the Kansas City, Kansas community of the mid-20th century.
Dates: approximately 1955-1988
Call Number: RH MS 510
Overview Dr. S.H. Thompson, Sr. was a founder of Douglass Hospital, a facility dedicated to the care of African Americans in Kansas City, Kansas. His son, S.H. Thompson, Jr., served as principal of Sumner High School (Kansas City, Kansas) from 1951-1972. The collection includes papers and photographs of both S.H. Thompson, Jr. and Sr., as well as material from other family members.
Dates: 1900 - 1979
Call Number: RH MS 1474
Overview Susan D. Greenbaum received her undergraduate and graduate degrees from the University of Kansas, majoring in sociology and anthropology. She conducted extensive research into cultural groups within Kansas City, Kansas in the late 1970s and early 1980s as research for her degrees. The main focus of this collection is her research material and findings from the Slavic-American neighborhood of Strawberry Hill and the African American community in Northeast Kansas City.
Dates: 1894-1985 (bulk 1966-1983)
Call Number: RH MS 439
Overview The YWCA, Yates Branch records are those of a Kansas City, Kansas Young Women's Christian Association affiliate organized in 1913 and dissolved in 1982 after it was absorbed by the Kansas City, Kansas Central Branch YWCA.
Dates: 1917 - 1982
- Community centers -- Kansas -- Kansas City 2
- Wyandotte County (Kan.) -- History 2
- Abused wives -- Services for -- Kansas -- Kansas City 1
- African American educators -- Kansas 1
- African American families -- Kansas -- Kansas City 1
- African American physicians -- Kansas 1
- African Americans -- Hospitals -- Kansas -- History 1
- African Americans -- Kansas -- Kansas City -- Social conditions 1
- Family services -- Kansas -- Kansas City 1
- Girls -- Societies and clubs -- Kansas -- Kansas City 1
- Kansas City (Kan.) -- History 1
- Quindaro (Kansas City, Kan.) -- History 1
- School integration -- Kansas -- Kansas City 1
- Slavic Americans -- Kansas -- Kansas City 1
- Social work with African Americans 1
- Women -- Kansas -- Kansas City -- Societies and clubs 1 ∧ less
- Friends of Yates Branch (Kansas City, Kan.) 2
- Young Women's Christian Association (Kansas City, Kan.) 2
- Douglass Hospital (Kansas City, Kan.) 1
- Drake family. 1
- Drake, Lorenzo, 1876?- 1
- Drake, Rosa Anna Smith, 1885- 1
- Greenbaum, Susan D. 1
- Hampton Institute 1
- Jackson, Ella Mae 1
- Jackson, Marshall 1
- Murray, Orrin McKinley, 1900- 1
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People 1
- Planned Parenthood of Greater Kansas City. Committee for Family Planning 1
- Sumner High School (Kansas City, Kan.) 1
- Thompson, J. R. 1
- Thompson, S. H. (Solomon Henry), 1870-1950 1
- Thompson, S. H. (Solomon Henry), 1904-1989 1
- United Way of Wyandotte County (Kan.) 1
- Western University (Kansas) 1
- Young Women's Christian Association (Kansas City, Kan.). Yates Branch 1 ∧ less