Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
The Ella Bowers scrapbook documents Mrs. Bowers' social activities as a Lawrence, Kansas resident and member of the African American community.
Ethel Johnson Moore was a long-time resident of Lawrence, Kansas, along with several other members of her family. Her father became one of the first African American members of the Lawrence school board in the 1890s when he filled an unexpired term of another board member. This collection primarily reflects the activities of the women of the family, including Ethel Moore, her sister Lois Johnson Branch, her mother Lulu Johnson Irving, and her granddaughter Alice Fowler.
This collection consists of research materials used by Katie Armitage for her publications and presentations on African Americans in Lawrence and Douglas County, Kansas.
Manifesto: read to the congregation of the First Methodist Church in Lawrence, Kansas, May 10, 1970, by the Coordinating Committee for the Black Community (Bryce Rivers, Chairman),
Photocopy of a 3-page manifesto read to the congregation of the First United Methodist Church (Lawrence, Kansas) on Sunday, May 10, 1970, by Bryce Rivers, Chairman, Coordinating Committee for the Black Community. Alleging the church's world-wide exploitation of African Americans, the manifesto demands payment of $75,000 in reparations for Lawrence's 3,000 African American residents.
The Marcus Hamilton papers reflect the experience of an African American family residing in Lawrence, Kansas, from the mid-1800s through the 1930s.
The Shirley Brown papers are those of a long time Lawrence, Kansas resident.
Bachelor of arts honors thesis, University of Kansas, 1975.
- African Americans -- Kansas -- Lawrence 7
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Race relations 2
- African American Baptists -- Kansas 1
- African American Baptists -- Periodicals 1
- African American business enterprises -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- African American churches -- Kansas 1
- African American families -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- African American musicians 1
- African Americans -- Education 1
- African Americans -- Kansas -- Lawrence -- Social life and customs -- 19th century 1
- African Americans -- Kansas -- Lawrence -- Social life and customs -- 20th century 1
- Baptists -- Societies, etc. 1
- Businessmen -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- History -- 20th century 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Race relations -- Economic aspects 1 ∧ less
- Armitage, Katie 1
- Baptist Training Union 1
- Bowers, Ella, 1871- 1
- Branch, Lois 1
- Brown, Shirley 1
- Coordinating Committee for the Black Community (Lawrence, Kan.) 1
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority. Psi Chapter (University of Kansas) 1
- Dowdell, Rick D. 1
- Dunbar Club (Leavenworth, Kan.) 1
- Evans, Stump, 1904-1928 1
- First Regular Missionary Baptist Church (Lawrence, Kan.) 1
- First United Methodist Church (Lawrence, Kan.) 1
- Girard, James Preston, 1944- 1
- Hamilton, Marcus 1
- Irving, Lula 1
- Johnson, John Thomas, 1943- 1
- Kansas. Office of the Attorney General 1
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity. Mu Chapter (University of Kansas) 1
- Moore, Ethel, 1889-1983 1
- National Baptist Convention of the United States of America. National Sunday School and Baptist Training Union Congress. 1
- Rice, Harry Nicholas, 1951-1970 1
- Richard Allen Society 1
- Rivers, Bryce 1
- University of Kansas 1
- Zavelo, Donald B. 1 ∧ less