Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Call Number: RH MS 888
Overview The papers of Daniel Mulford Valentine, a member of the Kansas Legislature and an associate justice of the Kansas Supreme Court from 1868 to 1893, contain his appointment notices, various property records, and writings. His writings include a history of Franklin County in Kansas Territory. Also in the colletion are some photographs and various records of Franklin County land transactions prior to Kansas Statehood.
Dates: 1844 - 1924
Collection — Volume: 1
Call Number: RH MS C64
Scope and Contents Mounted newspaper clippings concerning the history of Franklin and Douglas Counties. Two clippings are identified as being from the Lawrence Daily Journal-World, 1927 and 1936.
Dates: between 1930 and 1939
Call Number: RH MS P788
Overview These three family letters were written by Franklin County, Kansas settler Joseph F. Smith in the first year of his arrival in Kansas Territory and in the first two years of Kansas statehood. An emigrant from Iowa, Smith writes to his brother Alvin Smith of Ohio regarding the local weather, crops, prices of provisions, the threat of secessionists, and his hopes for purchase of land from the Indian reserve on which he works in winter months.
Dates: 1860 - 1862
Call Number: RH PH 70
Overview Collection of tintypes, cabinet cards, memorial cards, and other mounted photographs of African Americans from Ottawa, Franklin County, Kansas. Many photographs are unidentified or tentatively identified, and very few are dated, but they probably all date from the last half of the 19th century. Photographers are noted in the finding aid when known.
Dates: approximately 1870s-1900
Call Number: RH MS P434
Dates: 1859-approximately 1930
Collection — Volume: 1
Call Number: RH MS E206
Overview Ledger of accounts for hardware business Smith and Case Company, organized by Horace J. Smith in Ottawa, Franklin County, Kansas in 1866. The ledger provides documentation about work performed and costs, as well as names of local businesses and indivdiuals with whom the company worked.
Dates: 1866 - 1867
Collection — Folder: 1
Call Number: RH MS P958
Overview Homemade journal of Franklin County, Kansas resident William B. Young. Young and his brother "Ed" held a sheep ranch to the south of Minneoloa. The journal details business expenses from April to June 1864, along with weather conditions and daily happenings of the ranch. Young travels to trade in nearby towns Lawrence, Leavenworth, Prairie City, and Peoria, noting the exchanges in his journal.
Dates: April 19, 1865 - June 30, 1865
- Adair County (Iowa) -- History 1
- African American families -- Kansas -- Ottawa -- Photographs 1
- African Americans -- Kansas -- Ottawa -- Photographs 1
- African Americans -- Portraits 1
- Clay Center (Kan.) -- History 1
- Clay County (Kan.) -- History 1
- Douglas County (Kan.) -- History 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Kansas -- Franklin County 1
- Hardware stores -- Accounting 1
- Journalists -- Kansas -- Clay Center 1
- Judges -- Kansas -- Biography 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- History 1
- Minneola (Kan.) -- History 1
- Ohio City (Kan.) -- History 1
- Ottawa (Kan,) -- Photographs 1
- Ottawa (Kan.) 1
- Peoria (Kan.) -- History 1 ∧ less
- Garrett Scott Bookseller 1
- Kansas. Supreme Court 1
- Morrow, Robert, 1825-1912 1
- Mrs. Hudson's Fine Books & Paper 1
- Smith and Case Company 1