Showing Collections: 1 - 12 of 12
Call Number: RH MS 685
Overview The Armitage Gone! Dance modern dance company was founded by Lawrence, Kansas, native Karole Armitage in 1979. The Armitage Foundation was established in 1985 to oversee the work of Armitage and the dance company. This collection contains budget reports, correspondence, reviews, and other materials related to both the foundation and company.
Dates: 1982 - 1993
Call Number: RH MS P753
Overview This 34-page typescript contains the text of an article by Katie H. Armitage, entitled "Elizabeth 'Bettie' Duncan: Diary of Daily Life, 1864," which was published in the Winter 1987/1988 edition (pages 275-289) of Kansas History, a journal of the Kansas State Historical Society. The manuscript describes and includes excerpts from the 1864 diary of Lawrence, Kansas pioneer Elizabeth "Bettie" Duncan. The collection also includes a transcript...
Dates: January 1987
Call Number: RH MS 1483
Overview This collection consists of three of the four workbooks for the Menninger Bible Study Course conducted through the Young Women's Christian Association. These workbooks were completed by Mrs. Edith Falkenstien in the first half of the 1940s. Workbooks include completed exercises as well as Falkenstien's notes in the margins, inserts (both additional notes and charts, as well as items not necessarily related to the Bible Study course), attendance records and certificates of completion for...
Dates: 1941 - 1945
Call Number: RH MS 623
Overview Jesse Milan, a longtime resident of northeast Kansas, was the first African American teacher to serve in the integrated Lawrence Unified School District #497. An active community leader, he later became an Assistant Professor of Education at Baker University in Baldwin City, Kansas. Milan's papers consist of personal and family records, professional papers regarding the fields of education and public housing, and service records documenting his involvement in groups such as Optimist...
Dates: 1931 - 2012
Call Number: RH MS 1476
Overview This collection comprises personal correspondence sent to Katie and Ken Armitage from the family of John C. Johnson, Jr. between 1975 and 2014. Correspondents include John Johnson, his wife Dorothy, and their children Doug and Carol. Both Doug and Carol are University of Kansas graduates.
Dates: 1930s-1940s, 1975-2015 (bulk 1975-2015)
Call Number: RH MS 1143
Overview This collection documents the professional dance career of Karole Armitage, a Lawrence, Kansas native, from her early days as a young ballerina through 2017. The materials, comprising correspondence, newspaper and magazine articles, programs, and more, were collected by Katie Armitage, Karole's mother.
Dates: 1959 - 2017
Call Number: RH MS 1479
Overview This collection of Lawrence, Kansas-based historian Katie Hart Armitage's papers includes Armitage's correspondence spanning from the 1970s until 2016, as well as her historical research materials and preparatory notes for tours and presentations centered primarily on the American Civil War, the Oregon-California Trail, and the Santa Fe Trail.
Dates: 1953 - 2017
Call Number: RH MS 1390
Overview This collection consists of research materials used by Katie Armitage for her publications and presentations on African Americans in Lawrence and Douglas County, Kansas.
Dates: Usage: 1975 - 2010
Collection — Folder: 1
Call Number: RH PH P2798
Overview Color photographs, sample registration form, and some research photocopies related to the "Kids, Let's Make a Mud Fort" workshop conducted in Lawrence, Kan. August 17-18, 1998. The fort created by the children and grown-ups was based upon documentation regarding early Lawrence earth works built during the Border Wars in territorial Kansas. Photos are of instructors Katie Armitage and John Jewell working with the participating children at the earth works site off the Kansas River...
Collection — Folder: 1
Call Number: RH PH P2801
Overview Pages 1, 3, and 9 from an application to the Laura McCall Award in Division C for Julia Springer, a home service representative for the Kansas Power and Light Company. Also included is a black and white 8x10 photograph of Ms. Springer and the superintendent of the Kansas State School for the Deaf with a group of female students. Page 9 of the application form describes Ms. Springer giving the students a cooking demonstration and explains that she helped plan the new home economics department...
Call Number: RH MS 757
Overview Making Do and Doing Without: Kansas in the Great Depression, a radio/newspaper series about Kansans' Depression-era experiences, was produced by the University of Kansas Division of Continuing Education. This collection consists of several cassette tape recordings of oral history interviews performed in 1982 and 1983, as well as project records and photocopies of primary source material and other research which formed the basis for the series.
Dates: 1982 - 1983
Call Number: RH MS 272
Overview Katie Armitage, actively involved as a concerned parent and teacher, compiled these printed materials related to educational issues in Lawrence, KS, from 1964 to 1974.
Dates: 1964 - 1974
- Names: Armitage, Katie X
- African American business enterprises -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- African American churches -- Kansas 1
- African American families -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- African Americans -- Education 1
- African Americans -- Kansas 1
- African Americans -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Bible -- Study and teaching -- Kansas 1
- Dance 1
- Dancers -- United States 1
- Discrimination in education -- Law and legislation -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Douglas County (Kan.) -- History 1
- History -- Study and teaching -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Kansas -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- History 1
- Missouri -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Oregon National Historic Trail 1
- Pittsburg (Kan.) -- History 1
- Public housing -- Kansas 1
- Public housing -- Missouri 1
- Public schools -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Santa Fe National Historic Trail 1
- Women -- Kansas -- Diaries 1
- Women pioneers -- Kansas -- Diaries 1 ∧ less
- Armitage Foundation (New York, N.Y.) 1
- Armitage, Karole 1
- Baker University 1
- Children's Hour Nursery School (Lawrence, Kan.) 1
- Church of the Ascension (Kansas City, Kan.) 1
- Duncan, Elizabeth, 1837-1879 1
- Haskell Indian Junior College 1
- Johnson (Family : 1955- : Pittsburg, Kan.) 1
- Kansas Power and Light Company 1
- Kansas School for the Deaf 1
- Menninger, Flo V., 1863- 1
- Milan, Jesse, 1928- 1
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People 1
- Optimist International 1
- Pinckney Elementary School (Lawrence, Kan.) 1
- Springer, Julia 1
- University of Kansas. Division of Continuing Education 1
- Watkins, Barbara L. 1 ∧ less