Showing Collections: 1 - 13 of 13
The papers of Allabelle O. Napue are those of a Topeka, Kansas resident who owned and operated a beauty shop there in the mid-20th century and who was a prominent member of the Topeka African American community.
This collection contains papers from community groups, organizations, and events that Anna Jane Michener was involved with in the Wichita, Kansas area. Includes family life class curricula, papers on race relations, and pamphlets pertaining to Family Life Education. Additionally, correspondence between Anna Jane and family, friends, and colleagues can be found throughout the collection.
The records in this collection are those of the Topeka, Kansas-based Brown Foundation for Educational Equity, Excellence, and Research, established in 1988 as a tribute to the 1954 Brown v. Topeka Board of Education case and its plaintiffs and participants. These records include general information on the foundation and related subjects and events.
The Charles S. Scott Papers are those of a prominent native Topeka, Kansas lawyer who focused on civil rights and was one of the plaintiff's lawyers in the landmark Brown vs. the Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas case.
Chester I. Lewis (1928-1990), a Hutchinson, Kansas native, became a Wichita-based attorney and leader in the modern Civil Rights movement. This collection of his papers primarily reflects his leadership in the NAACP "Young Turks" organization and other civil rights efforts.
The Chester Lewis oral history collection was compiled by the Sedgwick County Historical Museum of Wichita, Kansas with support by the Kansas Humanities Council, for use in a museum exhibit entitled "Chester I. Lewis: a Civil Rights Legacy".
The Coordinating Committee of the Black Community scrapbook chronicles the Topeka, Kansas based organization's meetings and activities.
The Lawrence Alliance of Lawrence, Kansas was formed in 1991 to promote appreciation for diversity, strengthen race relations, and discourage discrimination within the Lawrence community. These two form letters, dated October 1994, announce the Alliance's upcoming community events.
The Lawrence League for the Practice of Democracy (LLPD) was organized in 1945 with an aim to advance better interracial relations in Lawrence, Douglas County, Kansas. This collection contains the correspondence of the LLPD, minutes of the Executive Board and general meetings of the organization, scrap books, clippings, surveys and other activities reflecting the efforts of the organization from 1945 to 1965.
This collection contains Kristine McCusker's research completed for her thesis entitled "The Forgotten Years' of America's Civil Rights Movement." The research mostly consists of photocopied articles, letters, and papers; also in the collection are letters to and from McCusker and photographs with their negatives.
Report of Direct Action Against Racial Discrimination at a Cafe Near the Campus of the University of Kansas
The collection consists of one copy of the Lawrence Committee on Racial Equality (CORE)'s 1948 "Report of Direct Action Against Racial Discrimination at a Cafe Near the Campus of the University of Kansas." The report provides an account of actions taken to counter racial discrimination in 1940s Lawrence, Kansas.
- Subject: Civil rights -- Kansas X
- Civil rights -- Kansas 4
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- Kansas -- Topeka 3
- Civil rights -- Kansas -- Lawrence 3
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- Kansas 2
- Civil rights movements -- United States -- History -- 20th century 2
- Discrimination in housing -- Law and legislation -- Kansas 2
- Segregation in education -- Law and legislation -- United States 2
- African American businesspeople -- Kansas -- Topeka 1
- African American lawyers -- Kansas -- Topeka 1
- African American women -- Kansas -- Topeka 1
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- Kansas -- Wichita 1
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- Kansas -- Wichita -- History -- 20th century 1
- African Americans -- Education 1
- African Americans -- Kansas -- Interviews 1
- African Americans -- Kansas -- Topeka 1
- Beauty shops -- Kansas -- Topeka 1
- Brown v. Board of Education National Historic Site (Topeka, Kan.) 1
- Citizens' associations -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Civil rights movements -- Kansas -- Topeka 1
- Civil rights movements -- Kansas -- Wichita -- History 1
- Civil rights movements -- Kansas -- Wichita -- History -- 20th century 1
- Discrimination -- Kansas 1
- Discrimination in employment -- United States 1
- Discrimination in housing -- United States 1
- Discrimination in public accommodations -- Law and legislation -- Kansas 1
- Family life education -- Kansas -- Wichita 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- History -- 20th century 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Race relations 1
- Methodist Church -- Kansas 1
- Parenting -- Study and teaching -- Kansas -- Wichita 1
- Quakers -- Kansas -- Wichita 1
- Race discrimination -- Kansas 1
- Religion and politics -- Kansas 1
- Topeka (Kan.) -- Race relations 1
- United States -- Race relations 1
- Wichita (Kan.) -- Race relations 1 ∧ less
- Coordinating Committee of the Black Community (Topeka, Kan.) 2
- Kansas. Advisory Council on Civil Rights 2
- Lewis, Chester I. 2
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People 2
- Brown Foundation for Educational Equity, Excellence and Research 1
- Committee on Racial Equality (Lawrence, Kan.) 1
- Interfaith Council on Race 1
- Interreligious Foundation for Community Organization (U.S.) 1
- Kansas Office of Minority Business Enterprise 1
- Kansas. Commission on Civil Rights 1
- Kansas. Supreme Court 1
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity 1
- Lawrence (Kan.). City Commission 1
- Lawrence Alliance 1
- Lawrence League for the Practice of Democracy (Lawrence, Kan.) 1
- Martin, Eva Lou 1
- McCusker, Kristine M. 1
- Michener, Anna Jane, 1892-1965 1
- Napue, Allabelle O. 1
- Republican Party (U.S. : 1854- ) 1
- Ross, Nancy L. 1
- Scott, Charles S., 1921-1989 1
- Scott, Elisha 1
- Sedgwick County Historical Museum (Kan.) 1
- Shechter, Ruth G. 1
- Shelton, Robert L., 1934- 1
- Students for a Democratic Society (U.S.) 1
- Topeka Back Home Reunion 1
- University of Kansas 1 ∧ less