Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Collection — Box: 1
Call Number: RH PH 538
Overview This collection consists of a single photograph album, which includes candid and posed photographs of Fannie Dixon and her friends from her time as a student at the Kansas Vocational School in Topeka, Kansas. The Kansas Vocational School started in 1895 as the Industrial and Educational Institute of Topeka for African Americans; in 1951, the name changed again to become the Kansas Technical Institute at Topeka. There are also photos from Amarillo, Texas, and Fort Smith, Arkansas. Some...
Dates: 1923 - 1928
Collection — Folder: 1
Call Number: RH MS P880
Overview The Kansas Vocational School History is a handwritten history of the Topeka, Kansas school, which later changed its name to the Kansas Technical Institute.
Dates: between 1923 and 2009
Call Number: RH PH 96
Overview The Minus Gentry Collection pictorially records activities at the Sheldon Kindergarten, which Reverend Charles Sheldon and the Central Congregational Church in the Tennesseetown area of Topeka, Kansas operated from 1893 to 1908.
Dates: 1898-approximately 1908
Call Number: RH MS 596
Overview The papers of Joe Douglas, an African American Kansan, document his career with the Topeka, Kansas Fire Department and his active civic involvement. It ranges from correspondence to newspaper clippings to certificates that Mr. Douglas has received. Also included are Douglas's many photographs of the Fire Department and of other Topeka organizations and events, as well as photographs of other Douglas family members and the damage from the 1966 tornado in Topeka.
Dates: 1891, 1908-1988, 2002-2005
Call Number: RH MS 951
Overview R.E. "Tuck" Duncan was a member of the Unified School District (USD) 501 School Board (Topeka, Kansas) from 1985-1989. This collection consists of records reflecting his activity on the Board. Papers from Duncan's time as the chair of the Topeka, Kansas Housing Authority in the 1990s-2000s can also be found in the collection.
Dates: 1985 - 2004
- African Americans -- Vocational education -- Kansas -- Topeka 2
- African American arts 1
- African American children -- Kansas -- Topeka 1
- African American students -- Kansas -- Topeka 1
- African American women -- Kansas 1
- African Americans -- Education -- Kansas -- Topeka 1
- African Americans -- Kansas -- Topeka 1
- Education -- Kansas -- Topeka 1
- Fire departments -- Kansas -- Topeka 1
- Housing -- Kansas -- Topeka 1
- Portrait photography -- Kansas 1
- Public housing -- Kansas 1
- Segregation in education -- Kansas -- Topeka 1
- Topeka (Kan.) -- History 1
- Topeka (Kan.) -- Social life and customs 1 ∧ less
- Kansas Vocational School 2
- Topeka School District (Topeka, Kan.) 2
- Central Congregational Church (Topeka, Kan.) 1
- Dixon, Fannie Mae 1
- Douglas, Joe, 1928- 1