Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
The collection contains 34 letters written by Marcus Junius Parrott to his Dayton, Ohio family members. The letters date from April 7, 1851 to April 28, 1862, and are arranged chronologically. Also included in the collection are a brief handwritten statement by [Laurette?] Parrott [Irvin?] regarding the collection content, and an offprint of a published 1865 sermon by Phillips Brooks, delivered at the time of Abraham Lincoln's death.
The Elliott family papers consist of correspondence, printed materials, photographs, and memorabilia from a family that settled in Lawrence, Douglas County, Kansas soon after it opened for Euro-American settlement in 1854.
The accounts in this collection relate to Reuben Randlett's experiences in the 1856 sacking of Lawrence, Kansas; his activities as a spy among the raiders; the Battle of Black Jack; the dissolution of the Free State legislature in Topeka on July 4, 1856; and Randlett's captivity by William C. Quantrill in 1862. The collection also includes a photograph of Randlett.
This collection consists of letters and notes from Samuel F. Tappan sent to William E. Connelley regarding Tappan's involvement with and recollection of the territorial border wars in Kansas. The letters were written a half-century after the fact.
This collection includes Lewis Timothy Litchfield's diary, 1854-1855, containing an account of his trip and settlement in Lawrence, Kansas, as part of the second Emigrant Aid party, and a certificate presented to Litchfield from his English study at Cambridge High School in Massachusetts.
- Kansas -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 2
- Lawrence Massacre, Lawrence, Kan., 1863 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Regimental histories 2
- Black Jack, Battle of, Black Jack, Kan., 1856. 1
- Diaries 1
- Emigration and immigration 1
- Kansas -- Politics and government -- 1854-1861 1
- Leavenworth (Kan.) -- History -- 19th century 1
- Names, Geographical -- Kansas 1
- Teachers -- Kansas -- Finney County 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Underground movements 1 ∧ less
- Connelley, William Elsey, 1855-1930 2
- Abbott, James Burnett, 1818-1897 1
- Black Kettle, -1868 (Cheyenne chief) 1
- Branson, Jacob 1
- Brown, John, 1800-1859 1
- Elliott family 1
- Elliott, Maude, 1898- 1
- Elliott, Robert Gaston 1
- Elliott, Samuel Steele, 1870-1957 1
- Ellis, George, 1832-1864 1
- Lane, James Henry, 1814-1866 1
- Litchfield, Lewis Timothy, 1838-1861 1
- Parrott, Marcus J. (Marcus Junius), 1828-1879 1
- Plymouth Congregational Church (Lawrence, Kan.) 1
- Pomeroy, S. C. (Samuel Clarke), 1816-1891 1
- Quantrill, William Clarke, 1837-1865 1
- Randlett, Reuben A., 1837- 1
- Raynesford, Howard C. 1
- Realf, Richard, 1834-1878 1
- Tappan, S. F. (Samuel Forster), -1913 1 ∧ less