Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Call Number: RH MS P136
Overview Richards and William Connelley corresponded about Kansas territorial history. Richards, who participated in the border wars between Kansas Territory and Missouri (1854-1861), recounted the events for Connelley, a historian. The letters, dated 1902-1909, were written approximately 50 years after the events. Connelley and Richards were specifically interested in detailing the border war involvement of Richards himself as well as James Lane, John Brown, William Quantrill, and Governor Charles...
Dates: 1902 - 1909
Collection — Folder: 1
Call Number: RH MS P27
Overview Episodes in Kansas history; three incidents included in The Gun and the Gospel. Lawrence? ca. 1896?
Dates: approximately 1896?
Call Number: RH MS P131
Overview The accounts in this collection relate to Reuben Randlett's experiences in the 1856 sacking of Lawrence, Kansas; his activities as a spy among the raiders; the Battle of Black Jack; the dissolution of the Free State legislature in Topeka on July 4, 1856; and Randlett's captivity by William C. Quantrill in 1862. The collection also includes a photograph of Randlett.
Dates: 1906 - 1916
Call Number: RH MS P285
Overview This collection of letters was apparently written by two sisters living in Lawrence from 1859 to sometime after 1863. The letters are written to their mother and brother who lived in Westinfield, Connecticut, and concern events in Lawrence prior to and during the Civil War.
Call Number: RH VLT MS P9
Overview F.L. Pilla was a minister in Eudora, Kansas at the time of Confederate ally William C. Quantrill's attack on Lawrence, Kansas in mid-August 1863. Pilla writes to his brother recounting this news and indicating that there was some fear that Eudora might have been one of Quantrill's targets.
Dates: September 21, 1863
Call Number: RH MS P620
Overview This letter from George Edwin Young, a survivor of William Quantrill's raid on Lawrence, Kansas, August 21, 1863, was written to his father two days following the massacre. A typed and annotated transcription of the letter is included.
Dates: August 23, 1863
Call Number: RH MS 36
Overview This collection consists of copied and original correspondence, clippings, photographs, and other related materials regarding the life of Oscar Eugene Learnard, his family, and the early history of Lawrence, Kansas.
Dates: 1850 - 1943
Collection — Volume: 1
Call Number: RH MS E78
Overview Reminiscences of Quantrill's raid upon the city of Lawrence, Kansas, thrilling narratives by living eye witnesses. Kansas City, Missouri, Isaac P. Moore, Printer and binder. Compiled and arranged by John C. Shea, the letters were originally written for the Chicago Times.
Collection — Volume: 1
Call Number: RH MS D59
Overview The history of our ancestors. Being a record of the Riggs, Baldridge, and Agnew families together with fragmentary data as to other cognate families. Ann Arbor, Mich., 1915.
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- History 4
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 3
- Kansas -- History -- 1854-1861 2
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- History -- 19th century 2
- Black Jack, Battle of, Black Jack, Kan., 1856. 1
- Burlington (Kan.) -- History 1
- Eudora (Kan.) -- History 1
- Fugitive slaves -- United States 1
- Kansas -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Underground movements 1
- Lawrence Massacre, Lawrence, Kan., 1863 -- Personal narratives 1
- Leavenworth (Kan.) -- History 1
- Massacres -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Olathe (Kan.) -- History 1
- Slavery -- United States -- Extension to the territories 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Underground movements 1 ∧ less
- Brown, John, 1800-1859 3
- Connelley , William Elsey, 1855-1930 2
- Agnew family 1
- Baldridge family 1
- Earl, Elizabeth S. C. 1
- Earl, Jennie L. 1
- Earle family 1
- Fisher, Charlie (Fugitive slave) 1
- Fisher, H. D. (Hugh Dunn), 1824-1905 1
- Friends in Council (Lawrence, Kan.) 1
- Haskell Institute 1
- Kansas City, Fort Scott and Gulf Railroad Company 1
- Kirkpatrick family 1
- Learnard, Mary S., 1842-1932 1
- Learnard, O. E. (Oscar Eugene), 1832-1911 1
- Learnard, Tracy, 1872-1959 1
- Leavenworth, Lawrence, and Galveston Railroad Company 1
- Leonard family 1
- Pilla, F. L. 1
- Pomeroy, S. C. (Samuel Clarke), 1816-1891 1
- Randlett, Reuben A., 1837- 1
- Republican Party (Kan.) 1
- Richards, Oscar G., 1836- 1
- Riggs family 1
- Riggs, Catherine Dome Earle, 1836-1920 1
- Riggs, Henry Earle, 1865-1949 1
- Shea, John C., active 1870 1
- Unitarian Church (Lawrence, Kan.) 1
- Vreeland family 1
- Young, Darius Franklin, 1807- 1
- Young, George E. (George Edwin), 1833- 1 ∧ less