Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Collection — Folder: 1
Call Number: RH MS P720
Overview Dark Command, a film based on the novel by William Riley Burnett, relates the exploits of William Quantrill and his raid on Lawrence, Kansas, during the Civil War. With such movie stars as John Wayne, Walter Pidgeon, Claire Trevor and Roy Rogers, the film had its premiere showing in Lawrence on April 4, 1940. This collection is comprised of area newspaper clippings about the film's debut and preparations for the gala which included a parade, a ball and a reenactment of the burning of the Free...
Call Number: RH MS P620
Overview This letter from George Edwin Young, a survivor of William Quantrill's raid on Lawrence, Kansas, August 21, 1863, was written to his father two days following the massacre. A typed and annotated transcription of the letter is included.
Dates: August 23, 1863
Collection — Volume: 1-2
Call Number: RH MS E170
Overview Two volumes of mounted newspaper clippings collected by Watson Library staff from numerous publications circa 1863-1963, on the life of William Clark Quantrill and the raid on Lawrence, Kansas, August 21, 1863. Volume one contains newspaper articles on the James brothers, Frank and Jesse and volume two contains articles on survivors and reunions of the Raid on Lawrence
Dates: 1945 - 1952
Call Number: RH MS 75
Overview This collection includes letters from William Clarke Quantrill to his mother, Caroline Clarke Quantrill, preceding and up to the raid of Lawrence, Kansas in 1863. Also included in the collection is the correspondence of William W. Scott, editor of the Iron Valley Reporter and friend of Mrs. Quantrill, who attempted to help Mrs. Quantrill obtain the truth about her son. This correspondence consists of letters between Scott and people who allegedly had known...
Dates: 1855 - 1906
Call Number: RH MS P231
Overview Letters to Scott concerning Quantrill's Raid, including one from Charles F. Taylor who was one of Quantrill's men, and concerning William C. Quantrill's family genealogy.
Dates: 1879 - 1898
- Kansas -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 2
- Lawrence Massacre, Lawrence, Kan., 1863 2
- Lawrence Massacre, Lawrence, Kan., 1863 -- Personal narratives 2
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.) 1
- Dark command (Motion picture) 1
- Guerrilla warfare 1
- Kansas -- History -- 1854-1861 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- History 1
- Lawrence Massacre, Lawrence, Kan., 1863 -- Drama 1
- Massacres -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1 ∧ less
- Scott, W. W. (William W.) 2
- James, Frank, 1844-1915 1
- James, Jesse, 1847-1882 1
- Quantrill, Caroline Clarke, 1819-1903 1
- Taylor, Charles F. (Charles Fletcher), 1842-1912 1