Showing Collections: 1 - 22 of 22
Collection — Volume: 1
Call Number: RH MS DK9
Overview Unpublished scrapbook compiled by Donald S. Pady of poems written by Kansas-based journalist and newspaper editor William Allen White. According to Pady, the purpose of the collection is to bring together the many verses of White which are found in numerous publications.
Call Number: RH MS P950
Overview This collection includes photographs of William Allen White, noted editor of the Emporia Gazette and his daughter, Mary Katherine, as well as correspondence between W.A. White, Mary Jane Haynes, and Random House, Inc. These items were found laid in books belonging to Dr. H.M. Floersch, who had collected books by White and later donated them to the Kenneth Spencer Research Library.
Dates: between 1920 and 1946
Call Number: RH MS 364
Overview James P. Howe, an Associated Press foreign correspondent for 21 years, was the son of famous Kansas writer and newspaper publisher, Edgar Watson Howe, of the Atchison Globe. This collection consist of correspondence from 1956-1970, manuscripts of stories Howe was assimilatinginto a book, newspaper articles, legal papers, misc. short stories by Howe and other authors, and a scrapbook.
Dates: 1956 - 1970
Call Number: RH MS 41
Overview Most of the correspondence included in this collection is from Stillwell to his father, Jeremiah O. Stillwell. These letters, dating from January, 1863 to the end of December, 1863, relate Stillwell's military experience to his father. Later correspondence, dating from 1898 to 1920, is from various political figures to Stillwell asking for favors, endorsements, or his opinions.
Dates: 1863 - 1920
Call Number: RH MS P741
Overview This letter, dated December 22, 1919, is from Emporia Gazette editor William Allen White to Rose Edington of Troy, Kansas, who worked as a linotypist and subscription contest organizer for various newspapers in Kansas and Nebraska. White's letter is written in response to Miss Edington's solicitation for contributions of clothing for the needy.
Dates: December 22, 1919
Call Number: RH MS P771
Overview In this 3-page letter to U.S. Senator George Moses of New Hampshire, Emporia Gazette editor William Allen White addresses the circumstances surrounding his work as Kansas delegate and member of the Committee on Resolutions during the June 1936 Republican National Convention at which Kansas Governor Alf Landon was nominated for President.
Dates: July 8, 1936
Call Number: RH MS P743
Overview These three letters, dated 1937, 1938, and 1941, were written by newspaper editor and writer William Allen White to Minnie Hite Moody, a columnist with the Atlanta Journal from 1938-1943, and a published author of poems, short stories, and novels. White writes in response to Moody, offering encouragement and aid in her writing efforts.
Dates: 1937-1938, 1941
Call Number: RH MS P740
Overview These two letters were written by newspaper editor and author William Allen White in response to a request that a book entitled Kansas Poetry, which he received from Paul S. Seybolt of West Medford, Massachusetts, be autographed. White comments on the ages at which he wrote his several poems which were published in the book and speculates that Seybolt's is the only copy extant.
Dates: December 28, 1936 and January 25, 1937
Call Number: RH MS P744
Overview These two letters are from prominent journalist and writer William Allen White to noted playwright and Franklin D. Roosevelt speech-writer Robert Sherwood. White, who in May 1940 co-founded a political action group encouraging U.S. aid to Great Britain in its defense against Adolf Hitler, writes in these letters of U.S. measures being sought by the Committee and his concerns for America's allies.
Dates: July 26, 1940 and August 7, 1940; photograph dated July 4, 1939
Call Number: RH MS P742
Overview These two letters, dated 1932 and 1933, were written by Emporia Gazette editor William Allen White to Sarah Martin, a former employee of the Gazette, who was employed in New York City at the time of his writing.
Dates: May 18, 1932 and December 22, 1933;
Call Number: RH MS 756
Overview This collection consists of several letters written to Marion Ellet, newspaper writer and editor in Concordia, Kansas by William Allen White, newspaper editor of the Emporia Gazette between the years of 1921 and 1943, as well as Ellet's collection of newspaper clippings ("paste-ups") of articles about her, or of which she is the author. It also includes a yearbook from Smith College in 1921 and a graduation commencement booklet, as well as an interview...
Dates: 1921 - 2014
Call Number: RH MS 1494
Overview This collection contains materials related to Emporia Gazette newspaper editor William Allen White, gathered by Mike Kautsch, formerly the dean of the University of Kansas' William Allen White School of Journalism. It includes several A.P. Style manuals, correspondence between William Allen White and a former student, information about the William Allen White Foundation's goals, booklets of typed speeches given at various events hosted by the William Allen White...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1929 - 1986
Call Number: RH MS P266
Overview The collection contains correspondence from Theodore Roosevelt, Kansas Senator Arthur Capper, William Allen White, Kansas Attorney General William Smith and Herbert Hoover, as well as clippings and, radio broadcasts concerning Mr. McLaughlin.
Dates: 1906 - 1949
Call Number: RH MS 1082
Overview In this collection are books inscribed in the 1920s by William Allen White to Phyllis A. Hughes (Mrs. Keith) Lawton, whose father Bowmer Q. Hughes worked for thirty years as a linotype operator for White's Emporia Gazette. Included are letters from Phyllis's father to her mother in 1918, commenting on the influenza epidemic and Mr. White's departure with his son William Lindsay White for the Paris Peace Conference. Also included are a group photograph of...
Dates: 1915 - 1951
Call Number: RH MS P728
Overview The Rachel Crown papers contain photocopied genealogical charts, family group lists, and photographs of Rachel Crown's Armistead family and Crown family ancestors, who were among the early settlers of Smith County, Kansas. Included also are several photocopies of Rachel Crown's writings, as well as a letter written to her from William Allen White in 1937.
Call Number: RH MS 609
Overview The Emporia Gazette (Emporia, Kansas) began publication in 1890. From 1895 to 1944, the newspaper gained national prominence under its owner and editor, William Allen White, which was sustained under his son William Lindsay White's leadership from 1944 to 1973. The records in this collection consist chiefly of the Gazette's financial records from 1935 to 1971, and of many of its photographic negatives from the 1950s. Some...
Dates: 1935 - 1971
Call Number: RH MS 772
Overview Mrs. Ruby Holland Rosenberg met William Allen White in 1928. At that meeting she was hired to write book reviews and a column, "Peeps at Emporia Gardens," for the Emporia Gazette. This collection contains correspondence with White, photographs of William and Sallie White, and newspaper clippings.
Dates: 1920 - 1980
Call Number: RH MS 275
Overview The Ruth Garver Gagliardo papers, dating from 1914-1978, contain correspondence, newspaper clippings, printed materials, and photographs, which mainly document her professional career as a journalist and reviewer of and authority on children's books.
Dates: 1914 - 1980
Collection — Volume: 1
Call Number: RH MS D217
Overview Key to microfilm letters to or from William Allen White in the possession of Walter Johnson, 1899 through July 1939 / Walter Johnson.
Dates: 1899 -July 1939
Call Number: RH MS 929
Overview The William Allen White Collection contains correspondence and writings by and about native Kansan William Allen White, whose grass roots social and political editorials as editor of the Emporia Gazette earned him a Pulitzer Prize and international fame. Included in the collection, acquired by the William Allen White School of Journalism and Public Information at the University of Kansas, are many photographs of White and his associates.
Dates: 1890 - 1970
Call Number: RH MS 1354
Overview This collection includes letters written by William Allen White to Adam Brand from 1926-1934. White was a journalist from Emporia, KS and became a leader of the Progressive movement in Kansas in 1912. White befriended Theodore Roosevelt and helped him create the Progressive (Bull-Moose) Party. White's political interests led him to write a biography of Woodrow Wilson in 1924. Brand contacted White for help with creating a play about Wilson's life.
Dates: 1926 - 1934
Call Number: RH MS 608
Overview The William Lindsay White Collection contains career correspondence and manuscripts of author and journalist William Lindsay White and his father, Pulitzer Prize-winning editor and author William Allen White. Included also are papers of William Lindsay White's mother Sallie Lindsay White and of his grandparents, Dr. Allen White and Mary Ann Hatten White.
Dates: 1815 - 1983
- Names: White, William Allen, 1868-1944 X
- Emporia gazette (Emporia, Kan. : 1892) 4
- Emporia (Kan.) -- History 2
- American poetry -- Kansas 1
- Arkansas -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Children's literature 1
- Concordia (Kan.) -- History 1
- Education 1
- Journalism -- Style manuals 1
- Journalists -- Correspondence 1
- Journalists -- Kansas 1
- Journalists -- Kansas -- Correspondence 1
- Journalists -- United States 1
- Judges -- Correspondence 1
- Kansas -- Newspapers 1
- Miami County (Kan.) 1
- Mississippi -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Paola (Kan.) 1
- Smith County (Kan.) -- History 1
- Suffrage -- Kansas 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- War correspondents -- United States 1
- William Allen White Children's Book Award 1
- Women newspaper editors -- Kansas 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Journalists 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States 1 ∧ less
- White, William Lindsay, 1900-1973 4
- Hoover, Herbert, 1874-1964 3
- White, Sallie, 1869-1950 3
- Capper, Arthur, 1865-1951 2
- Landon, Alfred M. (Alfred Mossman), 1887-1987 2
- Allen, Henry Justin, 1868-1950 1
- Clough, Frank C., 1900- 1
- Committee to Defend America by Aiding the Allies 1
- Coolidge, Calvin, 1872-1933 1
- Corbin, Alberta L., 1870-1941 1
- Crichton, John 1
- Crown, Rachel, 1917-2008 1
- Curtis , Charles, 1860-1936 1
- Davis, Kenneth S. (Kenneth Sydney), 1912-1999 1
- Dos Passos, John, 1896-1970 1
- Edington, Rose. 1
- Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969 1
- Ellet, Marion, 1898-1996 1
- Farnham, Mateel Howe 1
- Ferber, Edna, 1887-1968 1
- Floersch, H. M. 1
- Gagliardo, Ruth Garver, 1895-1980 1
- Hibbs, Ben, 1901-1975 1
- Howe, E. W. (Edgar Watson), 1853-1937 1
- Howe, James P., 1879-1970 1
- Hughes, Bowmer Q., 1890-1973 1
- Hughes, Ruth Ann, 1892-1992 1
- Hulbert, Mary Allen, 1862-1939 1
- Johnson, Walter, 1915-1985 1
- Kautsch, Mike 1
- Lawton, Phyllis A. 1
- Lodge, Henry Cabot, 1850-1924 1
- Martin, Sarah 1
- McLaughlin, Drew, 1882- 1
- Moody, Minnie Hite, 1900-1993 1
- Moses, George H. (George Higgins), 1869-1944 1
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913 -1994 1
- Pady, Donald Stuart, 1937- 1
- Republican National Convention (21st: 1936: Cleveland, Ohio) 1
- Rockne, Knute, 1888-1931 1
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919 1
- Rosenberg, Ruby Holland 1
- Schauffler, Edward 1
- Seybolt, Paul S. (Paul Spencer), 1903- 1
- Sherwood, Robert E. (Robert Emmet), 1896-1955 1
- Smith, William A., active 1927-1930 1
- Stillwell, Leander, 1843-1934 1
- United States. Army 1
- United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 61st (1862-1865) 1
- University of Kansas. William Allen White Foundation 1
- University of Kansas. William Allen White School of Journalism and Public Information 1
- Wallace, DeWitt, 1889-1981 1
- Ware, Eugene F., 1841-1911 1
- White family. 1
- White, Allen, 1819-1882 1
- White, Mary (Mary Katherine), 1904-1921 1
- White, Mary Ann Hatten, 1830-1924 1
- Willkie, Wendell L. (Wendell Lewis), 1892-1944 1
- Wilson, Woodrow, 1856-1924 1 ∧ less