Showing Collections: 1 - 15 of 15
Benjamin Robert Haydon, 1786-1846, was an English historical painter and author. This clipping book contains items from the first half of the 19th century, including printed reviews of Haydon's art works, printed essays and letters to the editor by Haydon, letters to Haydon, and handwritten copies of quotations and verse.
This collection consists of two letters written by Anglican clergyman and author Charles Kingsley (1819-1875), collected from various sources by Spencer Research Library staff.
This collection consists of a single letter written by Edward Capern to Dr. Lin from Bideford, England, providing biographical details about his life and career, including working as a child laborer at a factory.
Frederick George Barton (born 1817) was a curate in the mill town of Ossett, Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England. He was also the author of Religion in Heart and Life (1854). In this letter he writes to Sir John Philippart (circa 1784-1875) to renew connections between the families and to tell Sir John that he is having his publishers, Wertheim and McIntosh, send him a copy of his book.
Captain Basil Hall (1788-1844) followed a career in the Royal Navy by becoming a popular travel writer. These 4 letters reflect his naval and literary connections and activities. Items probably mostly written in London, perhaps also Italy.
The Porter family papers consist of letters, literary manuscripts and personal papers of an English literary family from the mid-18th century to the mid-19th century. Two-thirds of the almost 3000 items in the collection consists of the correspondence of the siblings, Sir Robert Ker Porter (1777-1842), Jane Porter (1776-1850), Anna Maria Porter (1778-1832), and other members of the Porter family.
A collection of six letters by poet and biographer Mathilde Blind. Correspondents include Charles Rowley, a social reformer and figure involved in the Manchester, England arts scene, pre-Raphaellite painter Frederic Shields, and a "Mr. Dolman."
This collection consists of 2 letters by English Romantic poet Robert Southey (1774-1843), collected from various sources by Spencer Research Library staff.
Collection of letters from various sources written by Thomas De Quincey (1785-1859) or daughter Florence (De Quincey) Smith.
Small collection of literary texts and letters by the English novelist William Makepeace Thackeray (1811-1863) and gathered together by Spencer Research Library staff.
This collection consists of two letters written by English Romantic poet William Wordsworth (1770-1850).
- Subject: Authors, English -- 19th century X
- Authors, English -- 19th century -- Correspondence 8
- Authors, English -- 19th century 7
- English literature -- 19th century 4
- American poetry -- Women authors -- 19th century 1
- Art, British -- 19th century 1
- Authors, English -- 20th century 1
- Balkan Peninsula -- Description and travel 1
- Child labor -- Great Britain -- Sources 1
- Diplomatic and consular service -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century 1
- Diplomatic and consular service, British -- Venezuela -- History -- 19th century 1
- English literature -- 18th century 1
- Europe, Eastern -- Description and travel 1
- Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century 1
- Middle East -- Description and travel 1
- Painters -- England -- History -- 19th century 1
- Russia -- Description and travel 1
- Venezuela -- Description and travel 1
- Women -- Intellectual life -- 19th century 1
- Women authors 1 ∧ less
- Badeley family 1
- Bailey, Philip James, 1816-1902 1
- Bailey, Thomas, 1785-1856 1
- Barton, Frederick George, 1817- 1
- Bewick, Thomas, 1753-1828 1
- Blind, Mathilde, 1841-1896 1
- Brooks, Maria Gowen, 1794 or 1795-1845 1
- Brown, Ford Madox, 1821-1893 1
- Capern, Edward, 1819-1894 1
- Clitherow family 1
- Conrad, Joseph, 1857-1924 1
- De Quincey, Thomas, 1785-1859 1
- Denham family 1
- Fane, Violet, 1843-1905 1
- Forster, John, 1812-1876 1
- Galsworthy, John, 1867-1933 1
- Hall, Basil, 1788-1844 1
- Haydon, Benjamin Robert, 1786-1846 1
- Kikine, Maria Scherbatoff Porter, 1813- 1
- Kingsley, Charles, 1819-1875 1
- Landor, Walter Savage, 1775-1864 1
- Mocatta family 1
- Paden, William Doremus, 1903-1979 1
- Philippart, John, 1784?-1875 1
- Porter family 1
- Porter, Anna Maria, 1778-1832 1
- Porter, Jane, 1776-1850 1
- Porter, Maria Scherbatoff, -1826 1
- Porter, Mrs. (Jane), 1745-1831 1
- Porter, Robert Ker, Sir, 1777-1842 1
- Porter, William Ogilvie, 1774-1850 1
- Porter, William, 1735-1779 1
- Royal Academy of Arts (Great Britain) 1
- Scherbatoff family 1
- Smith, Florence De Quincey 1
- Southey, Robert, 1774-1843 1
- Thackeray, William Makepeace, 1811-1863 1
- Wordsworth, William, 1770-1850 1 ∧ less
- French 1
- Persian 1
- Russian 1
- Serbian 1