Showing Collections: 1 - 13 of 13
Call Number: MS 305
Overview Benjamin Robert Haydon, 1786-1846, was an English historical painter and author. This clipping book contains items from the first half of the 19th century, including printed reviews of Haydon's art works, printed essays and letters to the editor by Haydon, letters to Haydon, and handwritten copies of quotations and verse.
Dates: 1813 - 1846
Call Number: MS P176
Overview This collection consists of two letters written by Anglican clergyman and author Charles Kingsley (1819-1875), collected from various sources by Spencer Research Library staff.
Dates: 1855, 1865
Call Number: MS 111
Overview A collection of letters, poems, printed portraits, photographs, etc. Most of the collection formerly belonged to John Forster, whose definitive biography of Walter Savage Landor was published in 1869. The collection largely consists of letters addressed to Forster after the publication of the book, concerning Landor's character. Also in the collection are some other letters addressed to Forster; some original Landor material; and portraits and other materials concerned with the publication of...
Dates: approximately 1830-1876 (bulk 1869)
Call Number: MS P122
Overview This collection includes five outgoing letters from John Galsworthy, English novelist and playwright. Two letters are to W. H. (Wilfrid Hugh) Chesson regarding Joseph Conrad's Almayer's Folly. The other 3 letters represent Galsworthy's side of brief formal correspondence with Arthur Tait, Secretary of the Leeds Institute of Science, Art and Literature (now Leeds Metropolitan University). They include 2 responses from Galsworthy to requests to give lectures...
Dates: 1921 - 1932
Collection — Folder: 1
Call Number: MS P603
Overview Letter written by Violet Fane (literary pseudonym of Mrs. Mary Montgomerie Lamb Singleton, later Lady Currie, 1843-1905) from 22 Grosvenor Place [London] accompanying gift of her book, Collected Verses (London, 1880) to Lady Feversham (Mabel Violet Dunscombe Feversham, countess of, died 1915). Lady Feversham was the wife of William Ernest Dunscombe, 1st Earl of Feversham. Subject: Why the book I'm sending you [presumably Fane's ...
Collection — Folder: 1
Call Number: MS P660
Overview Frederick George Barton (born 1817) was a curate in the mill town of Ossett, Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England. He was also the author of Religion in Heart and Life (1854). In this letter he writes to Sir John Philippart (circa 1784-1875) to renew connections between the families and to tell Sir John that he is having his publishers, Wertheim and McIntosh, send him a copy of his book.
Dates: January 4, 1853
Call Number: MS P482
Overview Captain Basil Hall (1788-1844) followed a career in the Royal Navy by becoming a popular travel writer. These 4 letters reflect his naval and literary connections and activities. Items probably mostly written in London, perhaps also Italy.
Dates: 1820; 1840-1842
Call Number: MS 28
Overview The Porter Family Collection consists of letters, literary manuscripts and personal papers of an English literary family from the mid-eighteenth century to the mid-nineteenth century. Two-thirds of the almost 3000 items in the collection consists of the correspondence of the siblings, Sir Robert Ker Porter (1777-1842), Jane Porter (1776-1850), Anna Maria Porter (1778-1832) as well as other members of the Porter family.
Dates: 1750 - 1849
Call Number: MS 204
Overview Collection of letters written to poet Philip James Bailey (1816-1902) largely by important or minor figures in the literary world: authors (professional and amateur), journalists, editors of periodicals, publishers, dramatists, artists, patrons. Some letters include poems and sketches as parts of letters; there are also 5 copied quotations in the collection. The collection includes some letters from politicians, landowners, philosophers, geologists, members of the Scottish universities; some...
Dates: 1833-1898 (bulk 1840-1869)
Call Number: MS P295
Overview This collection consists of 2 letters by English Romantic poet Robert Southey (1774-1843), collected from various sources by Spencer Research Library staff.
Dates: 1797, 1834
Call Number: MS P91
Overview Collection of letters from various sources written by Thomas De Quincey (1785-1859) or daughter Florence (De Quincey) Smith.
Dates: 1838-1854, undated
Call Number: MS P317
Overview Small collection of literary texts and letters by the English novelist William Makepeace Thackeray (1811-1863) and gathered together by Spencer Research Library staff.
Dates: 1838, 1860
Call Number: MS P355
Overview This collection consists of two letters written by English Romantic poet William Wordsworth (1770-1850).
Dates: 1830s; undated
- Subject: Authors, English -- 19th century X
- Authors, English -- 19th century 7
- Authors, English -- 19th century -- Correspondence 6
- English literature -- 19th century 4
- American poetry -- Women authors -- 19th century 1
- Art, British -- 19th century 1
- Authors, English -- 20th century 1
- Balkan Peninsula -- Description and travel 1
- Diplomatic and consular service -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century 1
- Diplomatic and consular service, British -- Venezuela -- History -- 19th century 1
- English literature -- 18th century 1
- Europe, Eastern -- Description and travel 1
- Great Britain -- Description and travel 1
- Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century 1
- Middle East -- Description and travel 1
- Painters -- England -- History -- 19th century 1
- Russia -- Description and travel 1
- Venezuela -- Description and travel 1
- Women -- Intellectual life -- 19th century 1
- Women authors 1 ∧ less
- Badeley family 1
- Bailey, Philip James, 1816-1902 1
- Bailey, Thomas, 1785-1856 1
- Barton, Frederick George, 1817- 1
- Bewick, Thomas, 1753-1828 1
- Brooks, Maria Gowen, 1794 or 1795-1845 1
- Clitherow family 1
- Conrad, Joseph, 1857-1924 1
- De Quincey, Thomas, 1785-1859 1
- Denham family 1
- Fane, Violet, 1843-1905 1
- Forster, John, 1812-1876 1
- Galsworthy, John, 1867-1933 1
- Hall, Basil, 1788-1844 1
- Haydon, Benjamin Robert, 1786-1846 1
- Kikine, Maria Scherbatoff Porter, 1813- 1
- Kingsley, Charles, 1819-1875 1
- Landor, Walter Savage, 1775-1864 1
- Mocatta family 1
- Philippart, John, 1784?-1875 1
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872 1
- Porter family 1
- Porter, Anna Maria, 1778-1832 1
- Porter, Jane, 1776-1850 1
- Porter, Maria Scherbatoff, -1826 1
- Porter, Mrs. (Jane), 1745-1831 1
- Porter, Robert Ker, Sir, 1777-1842 1
- Porter, William Ogilvie, 1774-1850 1
- Porter, William, 1735-1779 1
- Royal Academy of Arts (Great Britain) 1
- Scherbatoff family 1
- Smith, Florence De Quincey 1
- Southey, Robert, 1774-1843 1
- Thackeray, William Makepeace, 1811-1863 1
- Wordsworth, William, 1770-1850 1 ∧ less
- English 12
- Multiple languages 1