Showing Collections: 1 - 11 of 11
Call Number: MS 107
Overview A collection of letters, primarily between Anne Isabella Milbanke Byron, also known as Lady Byron (1792-1860), widow of the poet, and George MacDonald (1824-1905), the author, her protégé, written shortly before her death.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1856-1925 ( 1856-1859)
Call Number: MS 111
Overview A collection of letters, poems, printed portraits, photographs, etc. Most of the collection formerly belonged to John Forster, whose definitive biography of Walter Savage Landor was published in 1869. The collection largely consists of letters addressed to Forster after the publication of the book, concerning Landor's character. Also in the collection are some other letters addressed to Forster; some original Landor material; and portraits and other materials concerned with the publication of...
Dates: approximately 1830-1876 (bulk 1869)
Collection — Folder: 1
Call Number: MS P671
Overview George Cautley (1807?-1880), a clergyman and scholar, writes to Stratford Canning, Viscount Stratford de Redcliffe (1780-1880), a diplomat, about activities in his neighborhood and expresses hope that the Viscount's wife's health will improve. Cautley also shares his plans to publish a translation of the Emblems of Alciati, asks about the Viscount's literary work and gives reviews of a few recently published works.
Dates: January 6, 1784
Call Number: MS 28
Overview The Porter Family Collection consists of letters, literary manuscripts and personal papers of an English literary family from the mid-eighteenth century to the mid-nineteenth century. Two-thirds of the almost 3000 items in the collection consists of the correspondence of the siblings, Sir Robert Ker Porter (1777-1842), Jane Porter (1776-1850), Anna Maria Porter (1778-1832) as well as other members of the Porter family.
Dates: 1750 - 1849
Call Number: MS E255
Overview Bound periodical published every Thursday morning in England, of a literary, historical, and anecdotal variety. The title of the first issue states: The Office Chronicle. Published every Thursday Morning / Varios induta colores. Ovid/ Handwritten weekly, apparently amateur, containing not only literary/historical articles continued from issue to issue, but also material resembling the contents of a common-place book. Most items are signed "Alpha," "Omega, "or "Jacobus." Non-serial contents...
Dates: 1829 - 1830
Call Number: MS 24
Overview Collection of letters received by Anglo-Irish poet Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy. The collection also contains correspondence between individuals surrounding O'Shaughnessy; some literary texts by O'Shaughnessy and others; photographs and some sketches found in letters; and other related materials. Primarily literary and artistic subjects.
Dates: 1832-1906 or later
Call Number: PP 606
Overview This collection of Elizabeth A. Schultz's personal papers includes two series established by Schultz herself: Personal Documents and Albums. Her personal documents relate largely to professional projects and teaching at KU, as well as to post-retirement publications and philanthropic activities. The Albums series includes photograph albums and scrapbooks from Schultz's childhood through post-retirement travels around the world.
Dates: 1897-2018 (bulk 1944-2018)
Call Number: PP 110
Overview George Worth taught in the Department of English at the University of Kansas from 1955-1995. This collection consists of materials relating to a "Victoria's Jubilees" conference hosted by the English Department in 1987; research and manuscripts for various professional publications; and research, drafts, and correspondence pertaining to Worth's analyses of the writings of Charles Dickens. It also includes records of his service in professional organizations and university committees.
Dates: 1970 - 2008
Call Number: PP 615
Overview Harold Orel was a Professor of English specializing in Victorian and Edwardian literature at the University of Kansas. His papers include professional correspondence, teaching and research materials, conference materials and speaking notes, materials related to publications by Orel and other scholars, and personal ephemera.
Dates: 1941 - 2012
Call Number: MS 204
Overview Collection of letters written to poet Philip James Bailey (1816-1902) largely by important or minor figures in the literary world: authors (professional and amateur), journalists, editors of periodicals, publishers, dramatists, artists, patrons. Some letters include poems and sketches as parts of letters; there are also 5 copied quotations in the collection. The collection includes some letters from politicians, landowners, philosophers, geologists, members of the Scottish universities; some...
Dates: 1833-1898 (bulk 1840-1869)
Call Number: MS P295
Overview This collection consists of 2 letters by English Romantic poet Robert Southey (1774-1843), collected from various sources by Spencer Research Library staff.
Dates: 1797, 1834
- Subject: English literature -- 19th century X
- Authors, English -- 19th century 3
- English literature -- Irish authors 2
- American literature 1
- American poetry -- Women authors -- 19th century 1
- Authors, English -- 19th century -- Correspondence 1
- Balkan Peninsula -- Description and travel 1
- Diplomatic and consular service -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century 1
- Diplomatic and consular service, British -- Venezuela -- History -- 19th century 1
- Environmentalism -- Kansas -- Douglas County 1
- Europe, Eastern -- Description and travel 1
- Great Britain -- Description and travel 1
- Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century 1
- Middle East -- Description and travel 1
- Russia -- Description and travel 1
- Venezuela -- Description and travel 1
- Women -- Intellectual life -- 19th century 1 ∧ less
- University of Kansas. Department of English 2
- Badeley family 1
- Bailey, Philip James, 1816-1902 1
- Bailey, Thomas, 1785-1856 1
- Brooks, Maria Gowen, 1794 or 1795-1845 1
- Byron, Anne Isabella Milbanke Byron, Baroness, 1792-1860 1
- Cautley, George Spencer, 1807?-1880 1
- Clitherow family 1
- Denham family 1
- Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870 1
- Forster, John, 1812-1876 1
- Hardy, Thomas, 1840-1928 1
- Kikine, Maria Scherbatoff Porter, 1813- 1
- Landor, Walter Savage, 1775-1864 1
- MacDonald, George, 1824-1905 1
- Macdonald, Greville, 1856-1944 1
- Mocatta family 1
- O'Shaughnessy, Arthur William Edgar, 1844-1881 1
- Orel, Harold, 1926- 1
- Orel, Tim 1
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872 1
- Porter family 1
- Porter, Anna Maria, 1778-1832 1
- Porter, Jane, 1776-1850 1
- Porter, Maria Scherbatoff, -1826 1
- Porter, Mrs. (Jane), 1745-1831 1
- Porter, Robert Ker, Sir, 1777-1842 1
- Porter, William Ogilvie, 1774-1850 1
- Porter, William, 1735-1779 1
- Scherbatoff family 1
- Schultz, Elizabeth A. 1
- Southey, Robert, 1774-1843 1
- Stratford de Redcliffe, Stratford Canning, Viscount, 1786-1880 1
- Worth, George J. (George John), 1929- 1 ∧ less
- English 8
- Multiple languages 3