Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Collection — Folder: 1
Call Number: RH MS P186
Overview This manuscript was intended to be published as a guide for emigrants to Kansas Territory. Tovey, who had come to the territory as an emigrant in 1854 from Albany, New York, used his own experience to provide what he believed to be useful information for potential emigrants on the land available and its natural resources. Also included are current prices for cattle, provisions, and medical assistance, the various Native American tribes, contemporary politics, and his personal view of the...
Dates: Approximately 1856
Collection — Folder: 1
Call Number: RH MS P68
Overview Reminiscences of early days near Blue Mound. Recounts family's departure from England and trip West. Describes pioneer life in Douglas County, raids during the civil War, and Indians in the area. A 4-page "Excerpt" and map is included with the account.
Call Number: RH MS 446
Overview Floyd Schultz (1881-1951) was an amateur archaeologist who lived in Junction City, Geary County, and Clay Center, Clay County, Kansas. His interest in Native American history and culture extended to both participating in archaeological digs and documenting the lives of living Native Americans in various counties throughout Kansas. This collection includes Schultz's correspondence with firms to acquire artifacts and photographs for his collections, as well as a handwritten list of his...
Collection — Reel: 1-2
Call Number: RH Tape 34
Overview These are audio recordings of Powwow chanting and dancing at Haskell Indian Nations University. One tape is dated 1974; the other tape is undated.
Collection — Volume: 1
Call Number: RH MS D205
Overview Typescript master thesis, Indian Education at Haskell Institute, 1884-1937, by Loretta Granzer for the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska in 1937. 259 pages, 27 cm. Bibliography pages 260-270.
Call Number: RH MS B71
Overview Journal of Royal Baldwin, who from 1856 to 1858 was Indian agent to the Kickapoo Indians in Kansas Territory. Includes descriptions of his travels and meetings in council with the Kickapoo, their conditions, and statements of accounts for individual members of the tribe. Also includes receipts, memoranda, and other items. and
Dates: 1856 - 1860
Call Number: RH MS 592
Overview This collection consists of copies of government and other publications and unpublished materials, family history materials, newsletters, and photocopies of historical documents, all materials gathered in Rita Napier's study of history, particularly the history of Native Americans and the state of Kansas. The materials are organized by when received from Napier at the Spencer Research Library.
Dates: 1806 - 2011
Call Number: RH MS 69
Scope and Contents The collection includes letters of Wyandot chiefs and principals of the Wyandot Nation. Also, there is correspondence about the Methodist Church Mission effort among the Wyandots involving the division of the Methodist Church North and South. The documents in the collection include several Wyandot land allotments to the tribe in Kansas territory. An item by item inventory is included in each folder.
Dates: 1823 - 1889
- Subject: Indians of North America -- Kansas X
- Indians of North America -- Kansas 6
- Kansas -- History -- 1854-1861 2
- Archaeology and history -- Kansas 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Kansas -- Douglas County 1
- Indian agents 1
- Indian agents -- Kansas -- History -- 19th century -- Sources 1
- Indians of North America -- Education 1
- Indians of North America -- Great Plains 1
- Indians of North America -- Kansas -- History -- 19th century -- Sources 1
- Indians of North America -- Kansas -- Rites and ceremonies 1
- Indians of North America -- Oklahoma -- Portraits 1
- Journal 1
- Kansas -- Description and travel 1
- Kansas -- Emigration and immigration 1
- Kansas -- History 1
- Kansas -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Kansas -- Politics and government -- 1854-1861 1
- Kickapoo Indians -- Kansas -- History -- Sources 1
- Land titles -- Kansas -- Wyandotte County 1
- Methodist Church -- Missions 1
- Missouri -- History 1
- Powwows -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Prairie Band of Potawatomi Indians 1
- Slavery -- Missouri 1
- Slavery -- United States -- Extension to the territories 1 ∧ less
- Baldwin, Royal 1
- Granzer, Loretta Mary 1
- Greenwood family. 1
- Haskell Indian Junior College 1
- Haskell Indian Nations University 1