Showing Collections: 1 - 14 of 14
Call Number: RH PH 535
Overview This artificial collection was assembled by putting together smaller sets of purchased photographs from various photographic dealers on a variety of subjects relating to Kansas. Many of the purchases were selected by Spencer Research Library's Kansas Collection photoarchivist during the 1980s and 1990s. The collection consists of real photographic postcards, lithographic print postcards, cabinet cards, cartes de visit, mounted and unmounted prints, stereoviews, glass plate negatives, and other...
Dates: approximately 1875-1984 (bulk 1900s-1910s)
Collection — Folder: 1
Call Number: RH MS R302
Overview The collection includes two oversized black and white photographs of Rudolph Ruge's WWI Army unit. It also includes a photocopy of Ruge's honorable discharge and enlistment record.
Collection — Folder: 1
Call Number: RH PH P110
Overview This collection contains one mounted photograph of a family group, possibly brothers and sisters, bought at an auction in DeSoto, Kansas by Gene Muller.
Dates: approximately 1880s-1890s?
Call Number: RH PH 534
Overview This collection contains color slides taken of Governor Mike Hayden's family and harvesting procedures in July of 1983.
Dates: July 1983
Call Number: RH PH 13
Overview This collection includes photographs and ephemera related to Halstead High School, from which John Ambrose Hess graduated in 1902, as well as real photograph and lithographic postcards of towns and other scenes from around Kansas. There is also one of Hess' report cards from elementary school in the collection.
Dates: 1891-1892, 1901-circa 1915
Collection — Box: 1
Call Number: RH PH 134
Overview Photographs of various Kansas towns, many on postcard stock. Occasionally an inscription or correspondence is found on the back of the photograph postcard.
Dates: 1907 - 1913
Collection — Box: 1
Call Number: RH PH 164
Overview Views of Ft. Riley, Wamego, Wellsville, Yoder, Haven, Mt. Hope, Halstead, Peabody, Cedar Point, Strong City, Melvern, and Quenemo, Kansas.
Dates: 1990 - 1993
Call Number: RH PH 506
Overview The Hughes photographs are those of the L. K. Hughes Photography business run by Leon and Rosie Hughes. They illustrate everyday life in Wichita, Kansas from the mid-1940s to the mid-1970s.
Dates: 1944 - 2010
Call Number: RH PH 536
Overview This is a collection of mostly Kansas photographic material, the bulk of which dates from the mid-1800s to the mid-1900s. Leonard Hollmann collected this material over a span of many years, amassing a collection of over 10,000 images in various photographic formats including stereoviews, postcards, cabinet cards, cartes de visites, and other formats. The photographs include images of towns, families, individuals, universities, home life, farm life, military life, and other subjects. Some of...
Dates: bulk 1850s-1920s, 1930-2015
Collection — Folder: 1
Call Number: RH PH P557
Overview Photograph of U.S. President Warren G. Harding at a wheat farm, located 1.5 miles west of Hutchinson, Reno County, Kansas. He worked in the wheat field for about an hour. The grain he harvested was presented to President Calvin Coolidge in 1925 by Vada Watson, the "Kansas Wheat Girl." Coolidge completed Harding's term as president after Harding's death in 1923.
Call Number: RH PH 537
Overview Rexford Scott Sorenson took photographs throughout his life, and this collection of his photographic negatives begins in 1957. The Sorensons spent many holidays with friends and family, whom serve as the subjects of many of Rexford's photographs. Other frequent subjects include cats, landscapes, trees, construction, and buildings. The majority of the photographs were taken either in Kansas, New Mexico, or Oregon.
Dates: 1957 - 2009
Call Number: RH PH 547(f)
Overview This collection of 24 large mounted photographs by Kansas photographers R.H. Gandiven and R. Hugoboom were taken between 1883-1884. The photographs depict pioneer families and their homesteads in the following Kansas counties: Clay, Jewell, McPherson, Mitchell, Ottawa, and Saline. Subjects include early pioneer houses and farmsteads, family groups, landscapes, and individual portraits. All but three of the photographs have identifying captions on the reverse side.
Dates: 1883 - 1884
Call Number: RH PH 74
Overview Adam and America Todd were African Americans enslaved to the Tribble family of Platte County, Missouri. The Todds later immigrated to Kansas, where multiple generations have continued to live.
Call Number: RH PH 26
Overview William Long photographed scenes of Hoxie, Kansas and the surrounding area of Sheridan County and northwestern Kansas. Included in the collection are many images of farms and farming activities, as well as businesses and schools in Hoxie. Prints are copies made from original negatives.
Dates: approximately 1908-1928
- Subject: Kansas -- Pictorial works X
- Kansas -- Pictorial works 5
- Cities and Towns -- Kansas -- Pictorial works 3
- Families -- Kansas -- Pictorial works 3
- Agriculture -- Kansas -- Pictorial works 2
- Wheat -- Harvesting -- Kansas -- Pictorial works 2
- African American children -- Kansas -- Pictorial works 1
- African American families -- Kansas -- Pictorial works 1
- African American freemasonry -- Kansas -- Pictorial works 1
- African American photographers -- Pictorial works 1
- African Americans -- Kansas -- Wichita -- Pictorial works 1
- Children -- Kansas -- Pictorial works 1
- Education -- Kansas -- Pictorial works 1
- Farm life -- Photographs 1
- Fraternal organizations -- Kansas -- Pictorial works 1
- Greek letter societies -- Kansas -- Pictorial works 1
- Halstead (Kan.) -- History 1
- Harvesting time -- Kansas 1
- Hoxie (Kan.) -- Photographs 1
- Kansas -- Religion -- Pictorial works 1
- Kansas -- Social life and customs -- Pictorial works 1
- Kansas City (Mo.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Nebraska -- Photographs 1
- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Oregon -- Pictorial works 1
- Postcards 1
- Slaves -- Missouri -- Platte County -- Pictorial works 1
- Tasco (Kan.) -- Photographs 1
- Weddings -- Kansas -- Pictorial works 1
- Wichita (Kan.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Women -- Kansas -- Societies and clubs -- Pictorial works 1
- Women photographers -- United States -- Pictorial works 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Kansas -- Pictorial works 1 ∧ less
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority 1
- Bromberg, Nicolette 1
- Carmen D. Valentino. American Historical Manuscripts 1
- Carraher, Loretta 1
- Estelle family 1
- Gandiven, R. H. 1
- Halstead High School (Halstead, Kan.) 1
- Harding, Warren G. (Warren Gamaliel), 1865-1923 1
- Hayden family 1
- Hayden, Mike, 1944- 1
- Hess, John Ambrose 1
- Hollmann, Leonard, 1935-2016 1
- Hughes, Leon K., 1913-1978 1
- Hughes, Rosie E., 1913- 1
- Hugoboom, R. 1
- L.K. Hughes Photography (Wichita, Kan.) 1
- Links, Inc 1
- Long, William (Photographer) 1
- Maxwell family 1
- Maxwell, Evelyn M. 1
- Maxwell, Gordon E. 1
- Ruge, Rudolph H., 1894- 1
- Sorensen family 1
- Sorenson, Rexford Scott, 1935-2010 1
- Todd family 1
- Todd, Adam (Freedman) 1
- Todd, America, -1920 1
- United States. Army 1 ∧ less