Showing Collections: 1 - 14 of 14
Call Number: RH MS 274
Overview This collection deals principally with Alvin Dahlene's participation in the game of horseshoes.
Dates: 1906 - 1978
Call Number: RH MS P825
Overview These papers, a gift of University of Kansas professors Frances and Floyd R. Horowitz, concern the history of their former Lawrence, Kansas residence at 505 Ohio Street as the home of Thomas Hubbard Vail, the first Episcopal bishop of Kansas. The papers, all of which are photocopies of original documents, include correspondence between Bishop Vail's grandson, Thomas Hubbard Vail Motter, and Grace (Mrs. Fritz) Heider, when she and her husband occupied the former Vail home in the early 1950s....
Dates: 1870; 1951-1954
Call Number: RH MS 898
Overview This collection consists of survey forms which contain a history and architectural decription for each of 229 historic buildings in downtown Lawrence, Kansas. The survey content was compiled in 1993 by Deon Wolfenbarger (Three Gables Preservation) for the Lawrence Downtown Historic Building Survey, a project for which she was commissioned by the City of Lawrence and the Lawrence Historic Resources Commission.
Dates: August 16, 1993
Call Number: RH MS 1447
Overview This collection consists of research papers written by Craig Crosswhite regarding various topics in Kansas history. The papers were written for coursework Crosswhite was taking as a graduate student at the University of Kansas, commissioned work on behalf of others, and for other projects Crosswhite was developing. Papers include an account of Oscar Wilde's trip to Lawrence, KS on April 21, 1882, and correspondence and copies of newspaper articles related to the report. Also includes...
Dates: 1976 - 1982
Call Number: RH PH 178(f)
Overview Robert Asbury completed his Masters thesis for the department of Architecture at the University of Kansas, Kansas architecture: A survey of development from the pre-territorial period to the present, in 1961. This collection of photographs was used as supporting material for the thesis. Dates in the inventory concern when the building(s) was/were built, not when the photographs were created. While many buildings photographed are in Lawrence, Kansas, there are...
Dates: 1858 - 1907
Collection — Folder: 1
Call Number: RH MS P730
Overview This photocopied 63-page research paper was written by University of Kansas graduate student Cathy Ambler for a 1991 fall semester course in American Studies. Ambler's paper explores the economic and cultural history of the East Lawrence neighborhood of Lawrence, Kansas as related to the neighborhood's development and identity. Included are fifty-three illustrations of East Lawrence streets and buildings.
Dates: December 16, 1991
Call Number: RH MS 1428
Overview This collection contains drawings and designs done by John Lee during his time as a practicing architect, materials that relate to his time teaching at the University of Kansas, and his involvement in building restoration around downtown Lawrence, Kansas, particularly his involvment in the restoration of the Union Pacific Depot. This collection also includes materials from his bicycling hobby and influence in a cycling club on KU's campus.
Dates: 1989 - 1996
Call Number: RH PH 18
Overview This collection of photographic materials relating to Lawrence, Kansas and its residents, businesses, buildings, and events spans the early 19th century through the late 20th century, therefore also spanning the history of photography itself. This is an artificial collection, meaning that the photographs herein come from a wide variety of sources and have been compiled by the Spencer Research Library into this single collection organized by subject matter.
Dates: 1847 - 1997
Call Number: RH MS 553
Overview Nancy Shontz served on the City Commission of Lawrence, Kansas, from 1981-1985, and worked actively with the Lawrence Preservation Alliance and the local chapter of the League of Women Voters. The collection contains her papers regarding these activities as well as other city- and county-related issues.
Dates: 1945 - 2000
Call Number: RH MS D195
Overview Undergraduate thesis by Ben Wearing regarding 19th century buildings located in Lawrence, Kansas. Card file index also available. Photographs from the thesis have been physically separated and are located at RH PH 552 (formerly at RH MS-P D195).
Call Number: RH MS 763
Overview The Kansas Historic Resource Inventory collection documents the preservation and identification process of historic landmarks in the Lawrence community. The collection consists mainly of documentation, i.e. photographs, archival research, scale drawings, inventory sheets, etc., of all buildings, residential, commercial and religious in the Old West Lawrence Neighborhood (O.W.L.). The buildings included in the survey are on Tennessee Street, Ohio Street, Louisiana Street, Indiana Street,...
Dates: 1964 - 1992
Call Number: RH MS R445
Overview This collection consists of a modern recreation of a drawing of the Old Windmill in Lawrence, Kansas, completed by George. J. Hood on January 21, 1904. The drawing has a note saying the windmill was erected in 1863-64.
Dates: January 21, 1904
Call Number: RH MS-P P336
Overview Paper by Michael Owen Jones written for an American art history course at the University of Kansas, giving the history of the property and house at 926 Indiana Street in Lawrence, Kan. Includes a photograph of the house shelved at RH MS-P P336.
Dates: 1867 - 1988
Call Number: RH MS P508
Overview Photocopy of a report written as a research project with a grant from the Kansas Committee for the Humanities. The report traces the origin, development, and cultural role of the Black churches in Lawrence, Kansas. Churches discussed include Church of God, First Regular Missionary Baptist, Lawrence Pentecostal, Ninth Street Baptist, Overcoming Church of God in Christ, Second Christian, Disciples of Christ, St. James AME, and St. Luke AME. Photocopies of pictures accompanying the report remain...
- Subject: Lawrence (Kan.) -- Buildings, structures, etc X
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Buildings, structures, etc. 9
- Historic buildings -- Kansas -- Lawrence 3
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- History 2
- Old West Lawrence Historic District (Lawrence, Kan.) -- Buildings, structures, etc. 2
- African American churches -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Architects -- Kansas 1
- Architecture -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Architecture -- Kansas -- Lawrence -- Photographs 1
- Architecture -- Kansas -- Photographs 1
- Bridges -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Buildings -- Kansas -- Lawrence -- Photographs 1
- Buildings -- Kansas -- Photographs 1
- Church buildings -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Douglas County (Kan.) -- History 1
- Dwellings -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- East Lawrence (Lawrence, Kan.) -- Buildings, structures, etc. 1
- Historic preservation -- Kansas 1
- Horseshoe pitching 1
- Industrial organization -- Kansas 1
- Kansas -- History 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Buildings, structures, etc. -- Photographs 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Buildings, structures, etc. -- Pictorial works 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Centennial celebrations, etc. 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Church history 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Economic conditions 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Economic policy 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Photographs 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Politics and government 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Social conditions 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Social life and customs 1
- Neighborhood government -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Portrait photography -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Urban runoff -- Management 1
- Winchester rifle 1
- Windmills -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1 ∧ less
- Ambler, Cathy 1
- Asbury, Robert Fossett 1
- Benjamin, David, 1963- 1
- Crawford, S. J. (Samuel Johnson), 1835-1913 1
- Crosswhite, Craig S. 1
- Dahlene, Alvin Daniel, 1906-1978 1
- Enslinger, Dennis 1
- Green, Nehemiah, 1837-1890 1
- Heider, Grace M. (Grace Moore) 1
- Hood, George J. (George Jüssen), 1877-1965 1
- Horowitz, Floyd R. 1
- Horowitz, Frances Degen 1
- Jones, Michael Owen 1
- Kansas State Historical Society 1
- Lawrence (Kan.). City Commission 1
- Lee, John, 1945 May 12- 1
- Majure, Janet, 1954- 1
- Motter, T. H. Vail, 1901-1970. 1
- Pennington, Dorthy L. 1
- Phillipi, Lucille 1
- Shontz, Nancy, 1927-1999 1
- Union Pacific Depot (Lawrence, Kan.) 1
- University of Kansas 1
- Vail, Thomas H. (Thomas Hubbard), 1812-1889 1
- Wearing, Ben 1
- Wiechart, Allen 1
- Wilde, Oscar, 1854-1900 1
- Wolfenbarger, Deon 1 ∧ less