Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Call Number: RH MS 1524
Overview Mary Elizabeth (Durrett) Stephens was an accomplished organist and pianist. This collection contains materials documenting her musical achievements and some of her research material and personal papers, as well as some materials related to her husband, William Stephens, who had a long career with the Reuter Organ Company in Lawrence, Kansas.
Dates: 1942 - 2002
Call Number: RH MS 1444
Overview Jane Wofford Malin grew up in Lawrence, Kansas, had a career teaching French in Texas, and then retired to her home town of Lawrence, Kansas. This collection documents her life and her connections to Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Texas, and in France and abroad. The correspondence in this collection, as well as papers and photographs of Malin and each of her parents, represents two generations of Midwestern life.
Dates: approximately 1860s, 1890s-2016 (bulk 1926 - 2016)
Call Number: RH MS 164
Overview John Thomas Johnson worked as a freelance reporter, primarily for the Topeka Capital-Journal, and as a stringer for Time magazine, the Wichita Eagle-Beacon, the Kansas City Star-Times, and United Press International. This collection includes notes compiled while he was reporting in Lawrence, Kansas, 1970, and outlines, notes, etc., for a proposed book to be jointly authored with James P. Girard. A later addition to the collection contains materials related to his work for Time-Life in El...
Dates: 1970 - 1994
Collection — Folder: 1
Call Number: RH PH P2811
Overview The Kaw Valley Hemp Pickers were a counterculture group in the Lawrence, Kansas area during the 1960s and 1970s. This collection contains five black and white group photographs of the Kaw Valley Hemp Pickers. Some of the photographs contain nudity.
Dates: between 1960 and 1970
Call Number: RH MS 48
Overview The Lawrence League for the Practice of Democracy (LLPD) was organized in 1945 with an aim to advance better interracial relations in Lawrence, Douglas County, Kansas. This collection contains the correspondence of the LLPD, minutes of the Executive Board and general meetings of the organization, scrap books, clippings, surveys and other activities reflecting the efforts of the organization from 1945 to 1965.
Dates: 1945 - 1965
Call Number: RH MS E77
Scope and Contents The scrapbooks treat the history of Lawrence and the University of Kansas in general. Some of the clippings are obituaries of local residents, or local current events, e.g, the demonstrations by the Lawrence chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People in 1963.
Call Number: RH MS 1503
Overview This collection consists of diaries, correspondence, copies of speeches and talks, news clippings, genealogical information, and other related materials from the Simons family of Kansas. The bulk of the collection relates to W.C. Simons, founder of the Lawrence Journal-World newspaper of Lawrence, Kansas.
Dates: approximately 1791-1960 (bulk 1920s-1952)
- Subject: Lawrence (Kan.) -- History -- 20th century X
- African Americans -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Citizens' associations -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Civil rights -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Counterculture -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Kansas -- Centennial celebrations, etc. 1
- Kansas -- History 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) 1
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Race relations 1
- Lawrence Massacre, Lawrence, Kan., 1863 1
- Organ builders -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Scrapbooks -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1
- Women organists -- Kansas -- Lawrence 1 ∧ less
- University of Kansas 2
- Dowdell, Rick D. 1
- Girard, James Preston, 1944- 1
- Huddleston, Lena M. 1
- Johnson, John Thomas, 1943- 1
- Kansas. Office of the Attorney General 1
- Lawrence League for the Practice of Democracy (Lawrence, Kan.) 1
- Malin, James C. (James Claude), 1893-1979 1
- Malin, Jane Wofford, 1926-2016 1
- Malin, Pearl Ethel Keene, 1896-1989 1
- Reuter Organ Company 1
- Rice, Harry Nicholas, 1951-1970 1
- Simmons family 1
- Simons, Dolph, Jr. 1
- Simons, W. C. (Wilford Collins), 1871-1952 1
- Stephens, Elizabeth, 1927-2011 1
- Stephens, William James, 1924-2008 1
- Tuttle, William M., 1937- 1 ∧ less
- English 6
- Multiple languages 1