Narrative of Andrew Williams, a formerly enslaved African American
Andrew Williams' autobiographical narrative gives an account of Quantrill's raid on Lawrence, Kansas in 1863. Williams wrote it at the urging of William E. Connelley.
- 1861 - 1910
- Williams, Andrew, -1913 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Andrew Williams
Before the Civil War, Andrew Williams lived as an enslaved person to Henry Williams, a slave holder who resided near Mt. Vernon, Lawrence County, Missouri. In 1861 he fought with General Sterling Price in Arkansas. When the 6th Kansas Regiment raided the area in 1862, he and his family were able to gain their freedom and were initially sent to Fort Scott, Kansas. Williams then moved to Lawrence, Kansas.
A year later, Williams experienced the August 21, 1863 raid of Lawrence by William Quantrill and his men. After his employment with the 7th Kansas Cavalry, he resided in Topeka, Kansas. He worked as gardener from 1908 to 1910 for William Connelley, an amateur historian who served as Secretary of the Kansas State Historical Society from 1914-1930.
1 folder : 9 leaves. Handwritten. ; 32 cm.
RH MS P42
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchase, Dressell, 1967.
- African Americans -- Kansas
- Kansas -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives
- Missouri -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives
- Quantrill, William Clarke, 1837-1865
- Slave narratives
- United States. Army. Kansas Cavalry Regiment, 6th (1861-1865)
- United States. Army. Kansas Cavalry Regiment, 7th (1861-1865)
- Guide to the Andrew Williams Collection
- Narrative of Andrew Williams, a formerly enslaved African American
- Finding aid prepared by kpz, 5 October 1972. Finding aid encoded by mg, 2004. Finding aid revised by mwh, 2019.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Andrew Williams narrative, Kansas Collection, RH MS P42, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas