John Hutchings correspondence
Collection — Folder: 1
Call Number: RH MS P66
The first two letters are from Banks, who preceded Hutchings to Lawrence, and they describe Lawrence, the lawyers, and law practice in the area. The third letter written by W. B. West mentions Quantrill's raid and asks about job opportunities in Lawrence.
- 1862 - 1863
- Hutchings, John, 1836- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Hutchings, John
Hutchings moved to Lawrence in 1863 to form a law partnership with Elliott V. Banks.
1 folder (3 items)
RH MS P66
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Helen Crane Bennison, Kansas City, Missouri.
A reprint of the original article can be found at RH C2327 in the Kansas Collection.
Bank's letter dated May 30, 1862, was published with commentary by Paul E. Wilson, in the Kansas Law Review, vol. 10, no. 2, December 1961.
Names mentioned in the Banks letter:
- Cobb, Nelson
- Bassett, Owen A
- Carpenter, Louis
- Christian, James
- Coe, John M.
- Fillmore, Lemuel
- Goodin, Joel K
- Hendry, James N.
- Lane, James Henry, 1814-1866
- Lowman, E. S.
- Montgomery, W. P.
- Riggs, Samuel Agnew, 1835-1920
- Robinson, Charles, 1818-1894
- Russell, Sheldon C
- Shannon, Wilson, 1802-1877
- Smith, George W.
- Thacher, Solon Otis, 1830-1895
- West, W.
- Young, Samuel A.
- Guide to the John Hutchings Collection
- John Hutchings correspondence
- kpz 13 November 1972 mg 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid writtenin<language> English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
John Hutchings Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS P66, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas