John James Ingalls papers
Call Number: RH MS 43
This collection of papers from a 19th century Kansas politician contains correspondence dating primarily from the 1880s and 1890s and concerning United States Senate business. There are also invitations and calling cards, possibly collected by Mrs. Anna Louisa (Cheesbrough) Ingalls.
- 1859 - 1902
- Ingalls, John James, 1833-1900 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of John James Ingalls (1833-1900)
J. J. Ingalls lived in Atchison and served as a United States Senator from Kansas during the years 1873-1891. He was an attorney, lecturer, and author. For a biography of Ingalls, see Burton J. Williams, Senator John James Ingalls, Kansas' Iridescent Republican (Lawrence, University Press of Kansas, 1972).
Brief chronology of Ingalls' life:
- Born December 29 in Middleton, Massachusetts
- Graduated from Williams College
- Admitted to Massachusetts bar
- Arrived at Sumner, Kansas in October
- Member of the Wyandotte Constitutional Convention [constitution under which Kansas entered the Union as a state]
- Secretary of Kansas Territorial Council; moves to Atchison, Kansas
- Secretary of Kansas State Senate
- Member of Kansas State Senate
- Judge Advocate with rank of major and lieutenant colonel to Gen. G. W. Deitzler, Kansas Volunteers
- Married Anna Louisa Cheesbrough
- U.S. Senator; President pro-tempore
- Died August 16 in Las Vegas, New Mexico
.5 Linear Feet (1 document case) : 148 items
RH MS 43
RH MS A2
RH MS VLT P386
RH MS VLT B10
RH MS VLT AK1
RH MS Q80
Other Finding Aids
NUCMC: MS 65-1957
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchases and gifts, 1952-1972.
- Guide to the John James Ingalls Collection
- John James Ingalls papers
- Finding aid prepared by lgg, 14 June 1974. Finding aid encoded by mg, 2004. Finding aid revised by mwh, 2020.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
John James Ingalls papers, Kansas Collection, RH MS 43, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas