Dark Command premiere newspaper clippings
Dark Command, a film based on the novel by William Riley Burnett, relates the exploits of William Quantrill and his raid on Lawrence, Kansas, during the Civil War. With such movie stars as John Wayne, Walter Pidgeon, Claire Trevor and Roy Rogers, the film had its premiere showing in Lawrence on April 4, 1940. This collection is comprised of area newspaper clippings about the film's debut and preparations for the gala which included a parade, a ball and a reenactment of the burning of the Free State Hotel. Also recounted in the clippings are Lawrence resident reminiscences and the history of Quantrill's raid.
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
1 folder (38 x 25 cm)
RH MS P720
- Guide to the Dark Command [film] Premiere Collection
- Dark Command premiere newspaper clippings
- Finding aid prepared by mab, 2007. Finding aid encoded by mab, 2007
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in<language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Dark Command Premiere Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS P720, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries