Alvin Daniel Dahlene papers
This collection deals principally with Alvin Dahlene's participation in the game of horseshoes.
- Creation: 1906 - 1978
- Dahlene, Alvin Daniel, 1906-1978 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Alvin Dahlene
Alvin Dahlene was born in Kansas City, Missouri, on June 2, 1906.
He moved with his parents, Daniel and Ella Dahlene, both natives of Sweden, to Lawrence in 1907. Dahlene continued to reside with his mother (d. 1973) (he never married) and work as an electrician in Lawrence his entire life. He is survived by one sister, Lucille, married to Clarke Phillipi, residing in Annandale, Virginia.
Dahlene was best known for his participation in the sport of horse shoe pitching. He was a member of the Lawrence Horseshoe Club for 54 years (1924-78), Kansas State Champion, 1941-42, and was nominated for the National Horseshoe Pitchers Hall of Fame three times, 1976-78.
2.5 Linear Feet (6 boxes)
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
Correspondence, diaries (1965-1977), scrapbooks, newspaper clippings, photographs (including slides), and published materials. Dahlene's numerous "Letters to the Editor" appearing in the Lawrence Journal-World and his work in organizing the 50th class reunion of Lawrence High School's class of 1925 is included.
RH MS 274
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Mrs. Lucille Phillipi, 1978.
- Reno, Otto W. The Story of Horseshoes.
- Reno, Otto W. Pitching Championship Horseshoes.
- Shaw, Naomi, ed. Writers Workshop, Lawrence, Kansas, Lawrence, Kan.: Lawrence Writers' Workshop, 1968. RH B2502
- Bates, Julia L. and Darlene Warring, eds.Poetry Festival, 1978, Lawrence, Kan.: Kansas Author's Club, 2nd District, 1978. RH C10949
- Guide to the Alvin Daniel Dahlene Collection
- Alvin Daniel Dahlene papers
- mrw 1978; mg 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in<language> English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Alvin Daniel Dahlene Collection. Kansas Collection, RH MS 274, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas