Memoir of early days in Kansas
Eldridge was active in the efforts to make Kansas Territory a free state. Formerly a Democrat, Eldridge joined the Kansas delegation at the Republican National Convention in Philadelphia. Memoir of early days in Kansas, miscellaneous stock certificates, and account sheets, 1859-1898.
- 1859 - 1898
- Eldridge, Shalor Winchell, 1816-1899 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Eldridge, Shalor Winchell, 1816-1899
Eldridge was active in the efforts to make Kansas Territory a free state. Formerly a Democrat, Eldridge joined the Kansas delegation at the Republican National Convention in Philadelphia, and in 1856 he attended the National Convention of the Friends of Kansas in Buffalo, New York. As a businessman Eldridge bought the site of the Free-State Hotel in Lawrence following its destruction by a pro-slavery mob in 1857.and built the Eldridge House with his brothers. After serving as a U.S. Army paymaster during the Civil War, Eldridge became a building contractor, building hotels in other cities, and Fraser Hall at the University of Kansas. The crisis of 1873 brought his construction work to a halt, but he engaged in mining in Colorado and Arkansas, from which he made and lost a fortune.
1 box (11 items)
Scope and Contents
This collection includes Eldridge's memoirs, published in collaboration with Robert G. Elliott, former editor of the Kansas Free State, as "Recollections of Early Days in Kansas," Kansas State Historical Society Publications, II (1920). The memoir was written in 1897-1898 and totals 264 leaves.
RH MS 128
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Sam Elliott family via Maude Elliott, 1959.
- Acme Manganese Mining Company (Kansas City, Kan.)
- Boss of the Bay Mining Company
- Delmonte Consolidated Mining Company (Leadville, Colo.) (Leadville, Colo.)
- Eldridge family.
- Elliott, Robert Gaston
- Kansas -- History -- 1854-1861
- Kansas -- History -- 19th century
- Kansas -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Kansas -- Politics and government -- 1854-1861
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- History
- Manhattan and San Juan Silver Mining Company
- New England Mining Company (Kansas City, Kan.)
- Riverside Tunnel and Mining Company
- Slavery -- United States -- Extension to the territories
- Stock certificates
- Uncompahgne Mining Company
- Guide to the Shalor Winchell Eldridge Collection
- Memoir of early days in Kansas
- lgg 7 February 1973 mg 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid writtenin<language> English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Shalor Winchell Eldridge Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 128, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas