St. Mark A.M.E. Church of Topeka, Kansas records
The St. Mark A.M.E. Church of Topeka, Kansas records are those of a Topeka African American church.
- Creation: 1944 - 1987
- St. Mark A.M.E. Church (Topeka, Kan.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of St. Mark A.M.E. Church of Topeka, Kansas
In 1880, Edward Dunlap began what became St. Mark African Methodist Episcopal Church. By the next year, a lot was procured on Railroad Street and a church built. In 1900 the Church had moved to its Norris and Harrison Streets location. Following the 1951 Kansas River flood, the Church closed until June, 1952; however, it took over 35 years to complete the rebuilding and many renovations.
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
The St. Mark A.M.E. Church of Topeka, Kansas records date from 1944 to 1987 and consist of church histories, clippings, and letters. Folder arrangement is alphabetical. With the exception of the newspaper article, all items are photocopies.
RH MS P840
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, James Coleman, Jr./St. Mark A.M.E. Church, 1987.
Previously shelved at: RH MS 489
- Guide to the St. Mark A.M.E. Church of Topeka, Kansas Collection
- St. Mark A.M.E. Church of Topeka, Kansas records
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2008; Finding aid encoded by mbw, 2008
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
St. Mark A.M.E. Church of Topeka, Kansas Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS P840, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries