Tabernacle Baptist Church records
The Tabernacle Baptist Church records document the activities of a Wichita, Kansas African American church founded in the 1880s.
- 1975 - 1988
- Tabernacle Baptist Church (Wichita, Kan.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of Tabernacle Baptist Church
In 1881, a group of settlers came together in Wichita, Kansas to form what, two years later, would become Tabernacle Baptist Church. Reverend John Van Leu, General Missionary for the State of Kansas for the National Baptist Convention, donated land in 1897 at 8th and Water on which the Church was built. Over the next fifty years the Church grew to include a parsonage and an educational building; by the mid-1950s, however, the congregation had outgrown the space and, in 1956, the Church moved to its current location at 17th and Valutsia. Since then Tabernacle Baptist Church has continued to grow, both with new buildings and programs and larger congregations.
3 folders ; 25 x 38 cm
Scope and Contents
The Tabernacle Baptist Church records date from 1975 to 1988 and are arranged in a single series. They consist of programs and newsletters. Folder arrangement is alphabetical by topic.
RH MS P794
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Betty Garrett, 1988
- Guide to the Tabernacle Baptist Church of Wichita, Kansas Collection
- Tabernacle Baptist Church records
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2007;Finding aid encoded by mbw, 2007
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in<language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Tabernacle Baptist Church records, Kansas Collection, RH MS P794, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries