Journal (1886-1887) and memoirs of Colwell O. Spalding, with transcriptions by Suzanne K. Hamilton
In this 1886-1887 journal and in later memoirs, begun in 1944, Colwell Orson Spalding describes his Spalding family ancestry, his life in Bates County, Missouri from the late 1860s to 1880, and his married years in Kansas and Missouri.
- between 1886 and 1957
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Colwell O. (Colwell Orson) Spalding, 1867-1957
Colwell Orson Spalding was born October 3, 1867, at Elburn (Kane County), Illinois. His parents were Gilbert Stuart Spalding and Lucy Maria (Gates) Spalding. From 1868 to 1880, the family lived in Bates County, Missouri, moving to Miami County, Kansas in 1880 and to Greenwood County, Kansas in 1884. Spalding married Emma Freeman on July 10, 1889. They had six children and lived in various locations during their fifty-two year marriage, including Greenwood County, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri. Spalding taught school, occasionally worked as a laborer, and was employed by the Railway Mail Service for many years. He died at Kansas City, Missouri on April 2, 1957.
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
Colwell Spalding’s 1886-1887 journal and his memoirs, begun in 1944, recount his Spalding family ancestry, his youth in Bates County, Missouri from the late 1860s to 1880; his education as a teacher; his various occupations and residences in Kansas and Missouri, and events of his marriage and family life. Content in Colwell’s original handwriting includes his journal (20 leaves) and the first 16 leaves of his 69-page memoirs. Included are photocopies of Colwell’s journal and memoirs, and a typed transcription of the latter, produced by Spalding's granddaughter, Suzanne K. Hamilton.
RH MS P616
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Suzanne K. Hamilton, 1991.
- Bates County (Mo.) -- History
- Greenwood County (Kan) -- History
- Hamilton, Suzanne K.
- Kansas City (Mo.) -- History
- Miami County (Kan.) -- History
- Pioneers -- Kansas -- Greenwood County -- Biography
- Pioneers -- Kansas -- Miami County -- Biography
- Pioneers -- Missouri -- Bates County -- Biography
- Spalding family.
- Spalding, Colwell O. (Colwell Orson), 1867-1957
- Guide to the Colwell O. Spalding Collection
- Journal (1886-1887) and memoirs of Colwell O. Spalding, with transcriptions by Suzanne K. Hamilton
- Finding aid prepared by mh, 2004; Finding aid encoded by mh, 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Colwell O. (Colwell Orson) Spalding Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS P616, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States