Bishop Vail house (Lawrence, Kansas) papers
These papers, a gift of University of Kansas professors Frances and Floyd R. Horowitz, concern the history of their former Lawrence, Kansas residence at 505 Ohio Street as the home of Thomas Hubbard Vail, the first Episcopal bishop of Kansas. The papers, all of which are photocopies of original documents, include correspondence between Bishop Vail's grandson, Thomas Hubbard Vail Motter, and Grace (Mrs. Fritz) Heider, when she and her husband occupied the former Vail home in the early 1950s. Included is a September 1870 description of the house, written from Bishop Vail to his wife.
- 1870; 1951-1954
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Thomas Hubbard Vail
Thomas Hubbard Vail (1812-1889) was the first Episcopal bishop of Kansas. He founded the Episcopal Seminary in Topeka in 1865, an institution of higher education for women that was renamed the College of the Sisters of Bethany and was absorbed into Washburn College in the 1930s. Bishop Vail's wife, Ellen Ledlie Bowman Vail (1828-1894), served as Matron of the college. Bishop Vail moved to Lawrence in 1870, where he lived with his wife at 505 Ohio Street. He earned a Doctor of Laws degree from the University of Kansas in 1875.
1 folder ; 24 x 36 cm
RH MS P825
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Frances and Floyd Horowitz, 1991
- Heider, Grace M. (Grace Moore)
- Historic buildings -- Kansas -- Lawrence
- Horowitz, Floyd R.
- Horowitz, Frances Degen
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- History
- Motter, T. H. Vail, 1901-1970.
- Old West Lawrence Historic District (Lawrence, Kan.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
- Vail, Thomas H. (Thomas Hubbard), 1812-1889
- Guide to the Bishop Vail House (Lawrence, Kansas) Papers
- Bishop Vail house (Lawrence, Kansas) papers
- Finding aid prepared by mh, 2007; Finding aid encoded by mh, 2007
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Bishop Vail House (Lawrence, Kansas) papers, Kansas Collection, RH MS P825, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries