Daniel W. Lewis papers
The Daniel W. Lewis Papers are those of a longtime Kansas City, Kansas resident. A teacher and principal in that city, Lewis later become Supervisor of Elementary Schools for the Kansas City schools.
- 1874 - 1986
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Daniel W. Lewis
Daniel Webster Lewis, Jr. was born 18 July 18 1897 in Kingfisher, Oklahoma to Daniel W. and Mary Nancy (Capers) Lewis. After completing his elementary and high school education in Kingfisher, Lewis earned a teacher's certificate at Emporia's Kansas State Normal School. Lewis later returned to school, earning a Bachelor's of Science in Education at Kansas State Teachers College in 1926 and a Master's of Science in Education from the University of Kansas in 1938. He also did advanced study at the University of Washington in Seattle and Columbia University in New York City.
Lewis began teaching at Lincoln School in Kingfisher from 1922-1924, after which he became principal of Phillips School in Armourdale (Kansas City, Kansas) and began his 40 year teaching career in the Kansas City, Kansas schools. After one year he became principal of Lincoln School in Argentine (Kansas City, Kansas), where he remained until 1930. From 1930 to 1948 Lewis was the principal of Grant School and from 1948-1951 principal of Douglass School, both in Kansas City, Kansas. In 1951 Lewis replaced Solomon H. Thompson as Supervisor of Elementary Schools in Kansas City, Kansas. He continued in this position until his retirement in 1964.
In addition to his professional career, Lewis was active in the First Baptist Church of Kansas City, Kansas and in several fraternal organizations. He has held positions of responsibility in both Alpha Phi Alpha (Beta Lambda chapter) and Sigma Pi Phi.
Lewis married Jennie Elizabeth Riley on 1 June 1926 in Kansas City, Kansas. Daniel W. Lewis, Jr. died 25 December 1989.
0.75 Linear Feet (2 boxes + 4 volumes)
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
The Daniel W. Lewis collection dates from 1874 to 1986, with the bulk dating from 1924 to 1986. The papers are arranged alphabetically by subject. They consist of such items as correspondence, clippings, biographical, educational, and organization-related information, publications, and writings by Lewis.
Photographs from the collection are located at RH MS-P 427; scrapbooks are located at RH MS E178 and RH MS G76.
RH MS 427
RH MS-P 427
RH MS E178
RH MS G76
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Daniel W. Lewis, 1986.
- African American children -- Kansas -- Kansas City
- African American educators -- Kansas
- African American school principals -- Kansas -- Kansas City
- African Americans school administrators -- Kansas -- Kansas City
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity
- Douglass Elementary School (Kansas City, Kan.)
- Education, Elementary -- Kansas -- Kansas City
- Elementary school principals -- Kansas -- Kansas City
- First Baptist Church (Kansas City, Kan.)
- Grant Elementary School (Kansas City, Kan.)
- Lewis, D. W. (Daniel Webster), 1851-1932
- Sigma Pi Phi
- Guide to the Daniel W. Lewis Collection
- Daniel W. Lewis papers
- Finding aid prepared by kdo, 1988; revised by mbw, 2010; revised by skt, 2010. Finding aid encoded by mg, 2004; mbw, 2010; skt, 2010; revised by mwh, 2018.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Daniel W. Lewis Collection, RH MS 427, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries.
- 2018: Consolidated EADs into 1
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States