Douglass Hospital history
This collection consists of a 5-page typed history of Douglass Hospital in Kansas City, Kansas from 1898 to the mid-1950s, written by Eugene H. Kelly.
- approximately 1957
- Kelly, Eugene H. (Author, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of Douglass Hospital (Kansas City, Kansas)
Douglass Hospital grew out of a September 1898 meeting between two local doctors and a lawyer who wanted to establish a hospital and nurse training school specifically for the use and education of African Americans and others without regard to race or ethnicity. The hospital and an accompanying training school were chartered in December of the following year; in 1905 the African Methodist Episcopal Church's Fifth District began to sponsor the institution.
In 1924 the institution moved from the original Washington Boulevard location to a new site on Quindaro Boulevard, which allowed the facility to expand. The Hospital remained in this location until its 1978 closure.
1 folder : 5 leaves, typewritten, signed ; 28 cm
Language of Materials
RH MS P214
- Guide to the Rev. Eugene H. Kelly Collection
- Douglass Hospital history
- Finding aid prepared by kpz, 20 October 1973; revised by mbw, 2010. Finding aid encoded by mbw, 2010. Finding aid revised by mhr, 2016; mwh, 2018.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Douglass Hospital history, RH MS P214, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States