Thomas Carney correspondence
The collection contents include correspondence written to and from Governor Carney.
- 1862-1865, 1874
- Carney, Thomas, 1824-1888 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Thomas Carney
Thomas A. Carney was born in Kenton, Ohio, 20 August, 1824, to James and Sarah Carney. Occupations included farming and acting as a merchant in Ohio and farming in Illinois before he moved to Kansas, where he held positions as a merchant, state legislator, governor, mayor of the city of Leavenworth, Director of the Lawrence and Ft. Gibson Railway, and President of the First National Bank of Leavenworth.
Carney's siblings included Dr. Theodore W. (oldest), LeRoy S. (born 10 May, 1826, died 19 November 1860), and Creighton (youngest, died 1886). Half-siblings included Sarah, Harrison, and Caroline Waldron.
Thomas Carney married Rebecca Ann Canady on 13 November, 1851, in Ohio. Their five sons included Edwin LeRoy (born 1853, died 27 July, 1902), a Harvard College graduate, 1875, Leavenworth lawyer, City Attorney 1879-1881, and Mason. He married Mary Fitz-William, daughter of Leavenworth's founder. William Ware (born 5 July, 1854, died 6 May 1927) married Alice Louise Farrell (born 1857, died 1935). Harry Canaday (born 1857, died 1915) worked as a government assayer at Butte, Montana. Charles Thomas (born 1861, died 1938), a Meeker, Colorado, ranchman, married Emilie W. (born 1864, died 1917). Frankie, their youngest, died in infancy (24 December 1863).
Carney died 28 July, 1888 in Leavenworth, Kansas.
1 folder (12 items in 1 folder)
RH MS P299
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchase, T.N. Luther, 1977
- Delaware Indians -- Kansas
- Governors -- Kansas -- Correspondence
- Kansas -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Lawrence Massacre, Lawrence, Kan., 1863
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865
- Lowman, Hovey E., 1829-1872
- Stanton, Edwin M. (Edwin McMasters), 1814-1869
- Guide to the Thomas Carney Collection
- Thomas Carney correspondence
- Finding aid prepared by lgg, 13 January 1977. Finding aid encoded by mg, 2004.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Thomas Carney correspondence, RH MS P299, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas