John H. Lynds Mill & Elevator Company records
Financial records, correspondence, stock certificates, and other business records of the John H. Lynds Mill & Elevator Company of White Cloud, Kansas.
- 1909 - 1921
- John H. Lynds Mill & Elevator Company (White Cloud, Kan.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of John H. Lynds
John H. Lynds came to White Cloud, Doniphan County, Kansas with his parents in 1857 when the town of White Cloud was in its infancy. In 1862 Lynds, a young man of 18, began working in Atchison, later that same year joining a steamboat crew. This experience prompted him to serve on a Union gunboat for the duration of the U.S. Civil War. After the war he worked at a foundry in Mound City and later joined the crew of the Stonewall. The Stonewall was completely burned in October of 1868, but Lynds was one of the few survivors.
In 1870 Lynds moved back to White Cloud, and in 1871 he began a ferry boat business, which continued in operation for over 40 years. He also operated steamboats for grain shipments to Kansas City and other markets. In 1883 he formed a partnership with Howard Vanderslice in the wood and timber business, and they later formed a grain business. The grain business prospered, and Vanderslice moved to Kansas City, Missouri to open a grain commission on the Board of Trade. Later Lynds and Vanderslice opened an ice manufacturing plant and cold storage houses in Kansas City.
Lynds was also a contractor for the Burlington Railroad in Nebraska. In 1906 he moved to Kansas City, and in 1916 he sold his White Cloud grain interests to the Kelley Brothers.
1 linear foot (2 document cases + 18 volumes, 2 oversize folders)
Language of Materials
RH MS E123
RH MS 119
RH MS C59
RH MS CK21
RH MS Q30
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Lowell Kelley, 15 May 1970.
Transferred from RH MS 118.
- Flour mills -- Kansas -- White Cloud -- Records and correspondence
- Grain elevators -- Kansas -- White Cloud -- Records and correspondence
- Grain trade -- Kansas -- White Cloud -- Records and correspondence
- Industries -- Kansas -- White Cloud -- Records and correspondence
- John H. Lynds Mill & Elevator Company (White Cloud, Kan.) -- Records and correspondence
- Lynds, John H., 1844-1926
- Guide to the John H. Lynds Mill & Elevator Company Collection
- John H. Lynds Mill & Elevator Company records
- Finding aid prepared by pg, January 1977. Finding aid encoded by mg, 2004. Finding aid revised by mwh, 2018.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in<language> English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
John H. Lynds Mill & Elevator Co. Collection, RH MS E123, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas.
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States