Beecher Bible and Rifle Church collection
This collection consist of various manuscripts and a photograph: one hundred year aniversary program, photograph of church, typed note, one hundred year anniversary program bound with newspaper clippings, and a document titled "Beecher Bible and Rifle Church."
- 1948, 1957
- Congregational Church (Wabaunsee, Kan.). (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of the Congregational Church of Wabaunsee, Kansas
The Congregational Church was organized June 27, 1857, by the Beecher Bible and Rifle Colony, which was formed from the New Haven Company, New Haven, Connecticut, in 1856. The church and colony took their name from the carbine guns furnished to free-state settlers coming to Kansas to combat pro-slavery sympathizers. The rifles were called "Beecher Bibles" because abolitionish preacher Henry Ward Beecher had collection money for the arms and shipped them to the Kansas Territory in boxes labeled as bibles. The church building, one of the earlier permanent church buildings constructed in Kansas territory, still stands in Wamego, Pottawatomie County, Kansas.
1 folder (5 items in 1 folder)
RH MS P417
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Douglas County Historical Society. Oct. 1981.
Transferred from Kb H1 61 W111 chu 1957; Kb H1 62 Will clo.
- Guide to the Congregational Church of Wabaunsee, Kansas Collection
- Beecher Bible and Rifle Church collection
- Finding aid prepared by lt, 10/1981. Finding aid encoded by amh, 2004. Finding aid revised by mwh, 2021.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Congregational Church of Wabaunsee, Kansas collection, RH MS P417, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas