Afrikan Culture Society records
The Afrikan Culture Society records are those of a Leavenworth Penitentiary, Leavenworth, Kansas based group attempting to raise awareness of African American history and cultural, social, and political problems.
- 1987 - 1988
- Afrikan Culture Society (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of Afrikan Culture Society
In 1973, a group of African Americans at Leavenworth Penitentiary, Leavenworth, Kansas helped to form a "Black Culture/Black Studies Workshop." Out of that workshop grew the Afrikan Culture Society (A.C.S.). A.C.S.'s stated aim was "the examination, analysis and the creating of solutions to the critical problems effecting Afrikan people," particularly in the United Stated. To that end, A.C.S. sponsored a number of programs and events, such as classes, seminars, Kwanzaa celebrations, and Black History month activities.
.25 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
The Afrikan Culture Society records date from 1987 to 1988. They consist mainly of brochures, meeting minutes, booklets, and programs. Folder arrangement is alphabetical by subject.
RH MS 881
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Afrikan Culture Society, 1989
- Guide to the Afrikan Culture Society Collection
- Afrikan Culture Society records
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2007; Finding aid encoded by mbw, 2007
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Afrikan Culture Society Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 881, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States