Boys' Hotel and summer camp (Kansas City, Missouri) photograph collection
Photographs of facilities, residents, and activities of the Boys' Hotel, Kansas City, Missouri and the Boys' Hotel summer camp on the Big Blue River. The photographer is Anderson of Kansas City or unknown, unless otherwise noted.
- Creation: 1921 - 1932
- Boys' Hotel (Kansas City, Mo.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of the Boys' Hotel
The Boys Hotel was opened in 1912 to house and teach orphaned boys in the Kansas City, Missouri area. A Boys Hotel Club Memorial (Annex) Building was constructed and opened in 1921, located on Admiral Boulevard between Flora and Highland Avenues. The organization also opened Camp Bo-Ho-Ca (named for the first two letters in each word of "Boys Hotel Camp") on the Blue River. The camp served as a boarding school for orphaned boys ages 9-14; once they were old enough, they would join other boys at the Hotel. The hotel included a library and auditorium, and boys living there learned etiquette in addition to other classwork. The hotel also had a day school.
[Information retrieved from the Kansas City Public Library, "The Pedergast Years: Kansas City in the Jazz Age and Great Depression," https://pendergastkc.org/.]
.25 Linear Feet (48 photographs in 1 document case)
Language of Materials
RH PH 136
- Guide to the Boys' Hotel Collection
- Boys' Hotel and summer camp (Kansas City, Missouri) photograph collection
- Finding aid encoded by rw, 2008. Finding aid revised by cmp, 2023.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Boys' Hotel and summer camp, RH PH 136, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas