Church of the Ascension (Kansas City, Kansas) records
The Church of the Ascension records are those of a long standing Kansas City, Kansas Episcopalian church.
- 1937 - 1988
- Church of the Ascension (Kansas City, Kan.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of Church of the Ascension (Kansas City, Kansas)
The Church of the Ascension of Kansas City, Kansas was organized May 10, 1904 with Henry Bartholomew Brown as lay reader. Early in 1906, the body was reorganized and the name Ascension adopted, possibly because this reorganization occurred around Ascension Day. At this time, services were held in member's homes and the Knight of Tabor Hall; Ascension obtained its first church home in 1907. In 1914, Ascension was assigned a new building that was part of St. Peter's Mission, but the Church had to move in 1918 when the City condemned the land surrounding the building. Ascension moved to 3rd and Stewart, remaining there until 1962 when the building was condemned; they then moved to a Quindaro Blvd. location.
.5 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
The Church of the Ascension records date from 1937 to 1988 and are arranged in a single series of papers. They consist of reports, correspondence, meeting minutes, financial records, and various church organization/event records. The folder arrangement is alphabetical by subject.
RH MS 513
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Jesse Milan, 1988.
- Guide to the Church of the Ascension (Kansas City, Kansas) Collection
- Church of the Ascension (Kansas City, Kansas) records
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2007. Revised 2011; Finding aid encoded by mbw, 2007
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Support for the processing of this collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Church of the Ascension (Kansas City, Kansas) Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 513, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States