Austin-Frey family papers
The Austin-Frey family papers document a family whose members came to reside in Osage City and Lawrence, Kansas from the late 1800s to the late 1900s.
- 1946 - 1988
- Hill, Pearl G., 1910-1994 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Austin-Frey Family
On May 14, 1900, Dorothy Jack (D.J.) Frey (b. January 16, 1879 in Coopertown, Tennessee) married Pearl Sylvester Hoard (b. October 8, 1882 in Osage City, Kansas). Pearl Frey's mother, Fannie, was from the Austin family (her parents being Peter and Mahala Noland Austin). D.J. and Pearl Frey had seven children: Kingsley Reginald (b. February 25, 1907), Dorothea Frances Marie (b. May 5, 1908), Pearl Gwendolyn (b. September 15, 1910), Ethelyn Emma (b. April 17, 1913), Opal Kathryn (b. October 21, 1917), Jack (b. October 10, 1920), and Donald Sylvester (b. May 9, 1925). The family moved between Osage City and Weir, Kansas and Weatherford, Oklahoma, finally settling in Lawrence, Kansas.
Pearl G. Frey married Charles A. Hill on December 31, 1931 in Lawrence, Kansas. The couple had three children: Johnny, Sylvia, and Anita. Mrs. Hill worked as a substitute teacher at North Lawrence's Lincoln High School and, later, as a cook for the Head Start Program at Plymouth Congregational Church.
D.J. Frey died January 18, 1943 and his wife, Pearl S, died June 6, 1977, both in Lawrence. Pearl G. Hill died January 2, 1994; her husband, Charles, died November 19, 1986.
.25 Linear Feet (1 box)
Scope and Contents
The Austin-Frey family papers date from 1946 to 1989 and are arranged in a single series. They consist of such items as programs, family reunion information, and meeting minutes. Folder arrangement is alphabetical.
RH MS 1026
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Pearl G. Hill, 1990
- African American families -- Kansas
- African Americans -- Kansas -- History
- Austin family.
- Frey family.
- Frye family.
- Heroines of Jericho of the United States and Bahamas, Prince Hall Affiliates. Prince Hall Grand Court (Kan.)
- Hill, Pearl G., 1910-1994
- Order of the Eastern Star. Prince Hall Grand Chapter (Kan.)
- Guide to the Austin-Frey Family Collection
- Austin-Frey family papers
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2007; Finding aid encoded by mbw, 2007
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Austin-Frey Family Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 1026, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries