Pippin family letters
This collection contains letters addressed to members of the Pippin family who resided in Wilson County, Kansas in the 1940s and 1970s. The bulk of the collection consists of letters written to Neodesha, Kansas residents Lafe and Dorothy Pippin from their son and neighbors who were serving in the Army during World War II.
- 1943 - 1975
- Pippin, Lafe, 1888- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of the Pippin Family
The Wilson County, Kansas members of the Pippin family to whom these letters are addressed include Neodesha, Kansas residents Lafe Pippin and his wife Dorothy Edith (Sullivan) Pippin. Lafe and Dorothy Pippin were born in the 1880s--Lafe in Missouri and Dorothy in Kansas. After marrying, they resided for a number of years in Missouri, and later lived in Neodesha, Kansas. One of their sons, George Max Pippin, was inducted into the Army during World War II, and was stationed in Italy from 1943 to 1944.
Wilson County residents Amy E. Carlson and her husband Alvin M. Carlson lived at Buffalo, Kansas, where their children were born. Amy Carlson was a native Kansan, born July 13, 1884. Her husband Alvin was born in Indiana. Amy Carlson died in November 1976 at Buffalo. The specific relationship of the Carlsons to the Pippin family is unidentified in this collection.
.25 Linear Feet (1 box)
Scope and Contents
These letters to Lafe Pippin and his wife Dorothy are written chiefly from their son George Max Pippin and from their Neodesha, Kansas neighbors who were serving in the Army during World War II. The latter include Donald F. ("Bud") Alexander (Company D, 274th Infantry, U.S. Army) and his brother Raymond E. Alexander, as well as Frank Jaynes. Letters from the soldiers are written from Germany, Italy, Africa, and India, with most accompanied by postmarked envelopes.
Letters and cards to Amy and Alvin Carlson of Buffalo (Wilson County), Kansas include one 1955 letter addressed to the two of them, but otherwise are chiefly greeting cards addressed to Amy Carlson on her 90th birthday in 1974 and at Christmas 1974.
RH MS 915
- Alexander, Donald F., 1923-2004
- Alexander, Raymond E., 1919-2002
- Carlson, Amy E., 1884-1976
- Pippin family.
- Pippin, George Max, 1921-1998
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 274th. Company D
- Wilson County (Kan.) -- History
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Kansas -- Neodesha -- Personal narratives, American
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Kansas -- Wilson County -- Personal narratives, American
- Guide to the Pippin Family Letters
- Pippin family letters
- Finding aid prepared by mh, 2007; Finding aid encoded by mh, 2007
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Pippin family letters, Kansas Collection, RH MS 915, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries