Personal Papers of Daniel Henry Maloy
Daniel Henry "Hank" Maloy drew the first cartoon "Jayhawk" in 1912, which became the mascot for the University of Kansas. The previous mascot for the university had been a bulldog. This collection contains numerous prints of cartoon Jayhawks in various poses and actions, as well as correspondence, photographs, hand-drawn and inked sketches, sample Christmas cards and other merchandise displaying the Jayhawk, programs, and other materials related to Maloy and his cartoons.
- Creation: 1910 - 1972
- Maloy, Daniel Henry (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
.5 Linear Feet (1 document case + 1 oversize box and 1 oversize scrapbook)
Language of Materials
Some folders in the collection have been erroneously labeled "Malloy" rather than Maloy.
- Guide to the Daniel Henry Maloy Collection
- Personal Papers of Daniel Henry Maloy
- Finding aid prepared by ad, 2005. Finding aid encoded by ad, 2005. Finding aid revised by mwh, 2016, 2020.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Daniel Henry Maloy Collection, University Archives, PP 172, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries