Henry John Weltmer papers
Call Number: RH MS 23
Scope and Contents
The collection contains records, papers and photographs of Weltmer's military and business careers, along with family papers and memorabilia. Over the years, Weltmer kept copies of war correspondence and journals of the 137th Infantry and later the 130th Field Artillery activities. These records are a part of the collection. For additional photographs from the Henry J. Weltmer collection, see RH Ms-P23.
- 1905 - 1956
- Weltmer, Henry John, 1887-1956 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Henry John Weltmer
Henry J. Weltmer was born at Hamlin, Kansas in 1887. As a young man, he enlisted in Company F of the first Kansas Infantry. He served all grades from private to colonel and commanded Company F of the 137th Infantry in the Mexican Border conflict (1916) and World War 1, 1917-1918. He graduated from Command & Staff Schools at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma and Leavenworth, Kansas. After the war, he was editor and publisher of the Kansas Democrat and manager of the Hiawatha Daily World. He served as postmaster at Hiawatha from 1931-1935. In 1938, he promoted and planned the building of the National Guard Armory in Hiawatha. In December 1940, he and the Hiawatha battalion were called into active duty to train at Camp Robinson, Arkansas. He later transferred to the Army Air Force and was promoted to full colonel where he served 5 1/2 years. He retired from the Air Force in 1948, and was employed as Alcoholic Beverage Control Inspector for Kansas. He was one of the principal Brown County supporters of Governor Fred Hall in the 1954 primary and general election campaigns.
3.75 Linear Feet (5 boxes)
RH MS 23
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Keith Weltmer, June 1959.
Photographs located at RH MS-P23
- Armories -- Kansas -- Hiawatha
- Camp Joseph T. Robinson (Ark.)
- Civil service -- Kansas
- Galbraith family
- Hall, Frederick Lee, 1916-1970
- Hiawatha (Kan.) -- Description and travel
- Hiawatha Daily World (Newspaper)
- Horton (Kan.)
- Kansas -- Politics and government
- Kansas Democrat (Newspaper)
- Kansas. Militia
- Sabetha (Kan.)
- Soldiers -- Kansas
- Troy (Kan.)
- United States. Army. Division, 35th
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 137th
- Weltmer family
- Weltmer, Henry John, 1887-1956
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Personal narratives, American
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American
- Guide to the Henry John Weltmer Collection
- Henry John Weltmer papers
- pg August 1976. Inventory revised May 2001, by mh; mg 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Henry John Weltmer Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 23, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas