Bowers and Bryant Families papers
The Bowers and Bryant Families Papers are those of long time Kansas residents, especially in Lawrence, Kansas and especially focusing on the first half of the twentieth century.
- 1900 - 1957
- Bowers, Ella, 1871- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Bowers and Bryant Families
James L. Bowers was born 12 Oct 1884 in Lawrence, Kansas to Lewis C. and Mary A. (Johnson) Bowers. He married Ella McPike, who was born in 1871 in Kansas to J.H. and Anna (?) McPike. The couple had one son, Clarence. James L. Bowers died 28 Nov 1949.
The Bryant Family is that of James Bryant, who was married to Della E. Bryant.
1.25 Linear Feet (3 boxes + 1 oversize box)
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
The Bowers and Bryant Families Papers date from the 1900s to 1957 and are arranged in a single series. They consist chiefly of scrapbook materials (such as cards, notes, clippings, and letters). Folder arrangement is alphabetical.
Photographic materials from the Collection are located at RH MS-P 1156 and RH MS-P 1156 (f). The majority of the photographs were removed from three different binders; the original order was preserved. The binder material arrangement is as follows: Notebook 1 in box 1, folders 4-17 ; Notebook 2 in box 1, folders 18-30; Notebook 3 in box 1, folders 31-39 and box 2, folders 1-8.
RH MS 1156
RH MS-P 1156
RH MS-P 1156 (f)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Bill Tuttle, 2006, 2008.
- Guide to the Bowers and Bryant Families Collection
- Bowers and Bryant Families papers
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2008; revised by skt, 2010; Finding aid encoded by mbw, 2008; revised by skt, 2008.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Bowers and Bryant Families Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 1156, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States