Friends of Yates Branch records
The Friends of Yates Branch Papers are those of a Kansas City, Kansas group begun in 1979 to raise funds for the Yates Branch YWCA. After the city's YWCA closed the Branch, the Friends continued many of that organizations community programs.
- 1925 - 1993
- Friends of Yates Branch (Kansas City, Kan.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of Friends of Yates Branch
The Friends of Yates Branch was incorporated October 4, 1979 "to perpetuate the name and purpose of Yates Branch Y.W.C.A., the oldest agency with continuous social service to the Black community" of Kansas City, Kansas. Originally formed to raise funds for Yates Branch when it lost its United Way funding, Friends of Yates became the legal entity which took over the physical property, financial assets, and programs when the Kansas City, Kansas Y.W.C.A. closed Yates Branch on June 7, 1982.
Friends of Yates Branch continues many of the community programs sponsored by the Y.W.C.A., as well as establishing new ones. Some of the programs that the Friends currently sponsor are Emergency Clothing Distribution, USDA Surplus Food Distribution, Summer Youth Camp, Nursing Home Volunteers, Black Men and Women of Distinction, and the Rebecca Vinson Center for victims of domestic violence.
1 linear foot (3 document cases + 1 oversize box)
Scope and Contents
The Friends of Yates Branch Papers date from 1925 to 1993 and are arranged in a single series; they consist of such items as clippings, event information, correspondence, and meeting minutes. Folder arrangement is alphabetical by topic. Photographs from the Collection are located at RH MS-P 521. Oversize materials are at RH MS Q288.
RH MS 521
RH MS Q288
RH MS-P 521
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Gladys M. Burks, 1987-1988, 1993.
Gift, Yates Branch YWCA, 1996.
- Abused wives -- Services for -- Kansas -- Kansas City
- African Americans -- Kansas -- Kansas City
- Community centers -- Kansas -- Kansas City
- Family services -- Kansas -- Kansas City
- Friends of Yates Branch (Kansas City, Kan.)
- Social work with African Americans
- Young Women's Christian Association (Kansas City, Kan.)
- Guide to the Friends of Yates Branch Collection
- Friends of Yates Branch records
- Finding aid prepared by Finding aid prepared by kdo, 1989, mbw, 2008; revised by skt, 2010; Finding aid encoded by mg 2004; revised by rw, 2009; revised by skt, 2010
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Friends of Yates Branch records, Kansas Collection, RH MS 521, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas