James Findley Harrison diaries
Two diaries handwritten by James Findley Harrison in the mid and late 1860s. They give descriptions of his travels and eventual settling in Linn County, Kansas.
- 1866 - 1870
- Harrison, James Findley, 1825-1907 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of James Findley Harrison
James Findley Harrison (1825-1907), a resident of Cleves, Hamilton County, Ohio, was the grandson of William Henry Harrison, ninth president and cousin to Benjamin Harrison, twenty-third president of the United States. James Findley Harrison graduated from West Point in 1845 and fought in the mid-1840s in the war with Mexico. He then studied the law and practiced in Indiana for a few years. During the Civil War he served in various Ohio infantry and cavalry units. In 1866 James Harrison made a trip West looking for land to buy and eventually settling with his family in Linn County, Kansas, where he was the county surveyor, a member of the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) organization and active in the community.
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
The first diary (RH MS A7), June 1866-August 1867, describes Harrison's travels west from Ohio through parts of Missouri and Kansas. The second diary (RH MS C85), January 1969-May 1870, concentrates on his settlement in Linn County, Kansas.
RH MS A7
RH MS C85
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchase, Alta California Bookstore, 1973.
Purchase, Carmen Valentino, Rare Books and Manuscripts, 2006.
- Farm life -- Kansas -- Linn County
- Kansas -- Description and travel
- Kansas City (Mo.) -- Description and travel
- Lawrence (Kan) -- Description and travel
- Leavenworth (Kan) -- Description and travel
- Linn County (Kan) -- Description and travel
- Missouri -- Description and travel
- Springfield (Mo.) -- Description and travel
- Topeka (Kan) -- Description and travel
- Guide to the James Findley Harrison Collection
- James Findley Harrison diaries
- Finding aid prepared by lgg, 1973; mab, 2006; revised by, cl 2010; Finding aid encoded by mab, 2006
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
James Findley Harrison Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS A7, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States