Laurenia Kiser papers
The papers of Laurenia Kiser are those of a Kansas native who taught for over twenty years and was highly active in Alpha Kappa Alpha.
- 1918 - 1985
- Kiser, Laurenia, 1898-1991 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Laurenia Kiser
Laurenia Kiser was born 2 March 1898 in Bloomington, Kansas. After graduating from Lawrence (Kan.) High School, Mrs. Kiser attended the University of Kansas for two years and then received her teaching certificate from the Kansas State Teacher's College in Emporia. Mrs. Kiser taught at the Beloit, Kan. detention school for girls for a year before teaching at various elementary schools in Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas.
Mrs. Kiser was an active member of the Mu Omega chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha as well as other organizations, such as the Self Culture Club and the Ninth Street Missionary Baptist Church. Laurenia Kiser died 28 March 1991.
.5 Linear Feet (2 boxes + 2 folders)
Scope and Contents
The Laurenia Kiser Papers, which date from 1918 to 1985, are arranged in a single series and include Alpha Kappa Alpha items, programs, and Self Culture Club items. Folder arrangement is alphabetical by subject. Photographs from the collection are located at RH MS-P 857 and RH MS-P 857(f).
RH MS 857
RH MS-P 857
RH MS-P 857(f)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Laurenia Kiser, 1989
- Guide to the Laurenia Kiser Collection
- Laurenia Kiser papers
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2006; revised by, cl 2010; revised by skt, 2010; Finding aid encoded by mbw, 2006; revised by skt, 2010
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Laurenia Kiser Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 857, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries