William E. Richards papers
The William E. Richards papers are those of a long time Topeka resident who served as Director of the Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services' Division of Social Services.
- 1944 - 1998
- Richards, William Earl, 1921- (Person)
- Freemasons. Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Kansas (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of William E. Richards
William Earl Richards was born Oct 16, 1921 in New York, New York. He attended New York University in 1942 and, the following year, joined the U.S. Army. Richards remained in the military, serving in both the Korean and Vietnam Wars, until his 1970 retirement at the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.
In 1972, Richards received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics from Washburn University (Topeka, Kansas). That year Richards worked for the NAACP's Kansas State Conference of Branches and, in 1973, as Assistant Director at the Kansas Commission on Alcohol. In 1974, Richards was named Director of the Kansas State Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services' Division of Social Services.
Richards was active in a variety of organizations, including the Retired Officers Association, the NAACP, Euclid Lodge No. 2 F & AM, and Oasis Temple No. 29.
Richards married Ollun Sadler; the couple had one son, William E. Jr.
0.5 Linear Feet (1 document case + 5 folders)
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
The Papers of William E. Richards date from 1944 to 1988 and are arranged in a single series. They consist of such items as programs, correspondence, clippings, speeches, and certificates. Folder arrangement is alphabetical. Photographs from the collection are located at RH MS-P 1105.
RH MS 1105
RH MS-P 1105
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, William E. Richards, 1987, 1988, 1998.
Freemasons. Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Kansas. Souvenir program ... annual communication / Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge F. & A.M. of Kansas Jurisdiction. [Kansas City, Kansas : s.n.] at RH Ser D2946, Spencer Library (Kansas Collection).
Previously shelved at RH MS 475.
- African American men -- Kansas -- Topeka
- Ancient Egyptian Arabic Order of the Mystic Shrine, Inc. (Prince Hall Affiliated). Oasis Temple, No. 29 (Topeka, Kan.)
- Freemasons. Euclid Lodge No. 2 (Topeka, Kan.)
- Freemasons. Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Kansas
- Kansas. Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services. Division of Social Services
- Richards, William Earl, 1921-
- Guide to the William E. Richards Collection
- William E. Richards papers
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2008; revised by cde, 2017.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in<language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
William E. Richards papers, Kansas Collection, RH MS 1105, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States