Stonestreet and Son Undertakers records
The Records of Stonestreet and Son Undertakers are those of an early twentieth century Topeka, Kansas mortuary business.
- 1915 - 1949
- Stonestreet and Son Undertakers (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of Stonestreet and Son Undertakers
By 1909, F. M. Stonestreet had established an undertaking and funeral business in Topeka, Kansas. Both of his sons, Fred and Wilbur, worked as assistant undertakers, eventually becoming full undertakers in what became known as Stonestreet and Son. In approximately 1918, Daisy, one of Stonestreet's daughters, married fellow Kansan Harry N. Carper. At the time Carper worked as a janitor for the newspaper; however, he went on to attend the Cincinnati College of Embalming, graduating in 1923, and became licensed in Kansas the following year. Carper then joined the family business.
.5 Linear Feet (2 boxes + 4 volumes, 4 oversize folders)
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
The Stonestreet and Son Undertakers records date from 1915 to 1949 and are arranged in a single series of Papers. The papers include information regarding the F. M. Stonestreet estate and funeral records. Folder arrangement within this series is alphabetical.
Photographs from the Stonestreet and Son Undertakers Collection are located at RH MS-P 683 and RH MS-P (f) 683. Bound volumes are located at RH MS D283. Oversized items are located at RH MS Q148.
RH MS 683
RH MS-P 683
RH MS D283
RH MS Q148
RH MS-P 683(f)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Leonard W. Carper, Sr, 1997.
- Guide to the Stonestreet and Son Undertakers Collection
- Stonestreet and Son Undertakers records
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2006; revised by, cl 2010; revised by skt, 2010; Finding aid encoded by mbw, 2006; revised by skt, 2006
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Stonestreet and Son Undertakers Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 683, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States